Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another Relic Tommy helmet find

Article about: Hello Friends, sorry its been a while again, works taking my away from all the fun these days, but..... I did find this on Saturday riding along a diused railway line on my Shire, Monty, I s

Reg
    ?

Default Another Relic Tommy helmet find

Hello Friends, sorry its been a while again, works taking my away from all the fun these days, but.....

I did find this on Saturday riding along a diused railway line on my Shire, Monty, I stopped for a pee, found somewhere seculded so I didnt make the ladies blush, looked down, and spotted this....just in time.

Ive got two very relic Tommy lids now, the other was posted on here some time ago. The line is very close to the old Hilton Depot in Derbyshire, where I found a sykes knife some years ago, also on here abouts.

Its worthess, but in my collection all the same

Cheers, ill try and find something more substantial next time.......

Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Relic Tommy helmet find  

Default Re: Another Relic Tommy helmet find

Nice find! It really is a relic. I dont see any rivets for the chinstrap...could it be an early brodie?

Reg
    ?

Cheers, Yep, it deffinately does not have any rivet holes, and the rim certainly is raw edge lol. But I did wonder, due to the lack of rivet holes if it was acually a helmet at all, as its very far gone, and given its odd location I wondered if it could have been some piece of old railway junk. But the more I look the more certain I am. Ive been looking for a Brodie for a while now.....Im not usually too bothered about mint lids, but a bit more actual "helmet" would be nice LOL.

Reg

I cant think what kind of railway junk it would be other than a workman's bowl or something, the metal looks too thin to be part of rolling stock or loco. It looks like a helmet to me, maybe there is an old dump near where you found it, as you found a knife and another relic lid in the same area.

Reg
    ?

Daft thing is that Ive had a hankering for .... and the wife thinks im dotty....and old railway sleeper with two rail brackets and a foot or so of rail as a feature. I found two cast brackets and a fish plate not far from the helmet, I stashed the brackets and intended to get Monty to carry them back for me as they weigh a ton. Ive always wondered where the old camp tip is after seeing some of the great finds by some of the guys on here, Im wondering if the camp had a rifle range too???

measure the size and compare it to another Brodie to make sure it's a helmet, if the size is the same it's probably a helmet

Reg
    ?

Good idea, Ill try and get a photo of my mk2 and my other relic Brodie all together as a size comparison, its very similar.

Cheers
    Reg

Reg
    ?

Looks a good match....still puzzled over the chinstrap rivets though.
    Reg

How relic can you get?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Relic Tommy helmet find  
    Last edited by Reg; 03-30-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: wise quip

Didn't the early rimless shrapnel helmets have small brass spit rivets? perhaps the relic is too far gone to find evidence of the holes where they were.