Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is? Civil Defence? Miner?

Article about: Hello, I'm trying to find some info on the helmet below. It's made from a plastic or fibre type material and seems quite old circa 1940s. Anyone have any ideas? I suspect it might have been

?

Default Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is? Civil Defence? Miner?

Hello,
    I'm trying to find some info on the helmet below. It's made from a plastic or fibre type material and seems quite old circa 1940s.
    Anyone have any ideas? I suspect it might have been a Civil Defence or maybe a miner's helmet?
    Thank you!
    Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?

?

Default Re: Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is? Civil Defence? Miner?

It is quite similar to the miners helmet, but I think it might be a private purchase helmet as used on the homefront during the war. There seem to be quite a few variations of these fibre helmets, one was for sale not long ago on ebay, see below. Plus the MKII shape & the HCRAC.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?   Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?  

Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?   Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?  

Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?   Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?  

?

Default Re: Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is? Civil Defence? Miner?

Thanks for that. Another quick piece of info, I've just measured the inside diameter of the liner band at 52cm, which would be xsmall or even child sized. Could this have been for a child or perhaps a woman? Or maybe just someone with a small head??

?

Just googled miners helmets, one nearly like yours described as, Thetford pulpware childs helmet. Produced in the early 1900's, for children down the mines maybe?
    Aaron

?

NCA
    ?

Interesting helmet.
    I take it they were made of compressed fibre to make them non-sparking?Economy?Both?

Am i right in thinking the material is vulcanised fibre?

?

It seems to be Pulpware, basically compressed and dried fibrous material.

Patent Pulp Manufacturing Co - GracesGuide

?

When i was on duty at the miners strike, we were shown a lot of the old time safety gear they used and there were quite a few of these helmets, or at least something very similar

i picked up this example today in a local antiques shop ,exactly the same as the ebay link kano provided ,its to small to fit my head but fits the daughter's a treat so im hoping used perhaps by bevin boys if its from this time frame anyway ,i believe this to be made by thetford ,a shame the label is damaged im just wondering if it would fit into my homefront displays ,can anybody confirm roughly the year of manufacture on these please or provide further info ,i believe mining helmets moved on to more modern design and construction some time during the 50's/60's ,i found the liner system very reminicent of my zuckerman cph's Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?Anyone have an idea what this british fibre helmet is?   Civil Defence?  Miner?

NCA
    ?

Nice Miners lid...I think its post war on account of the imperial/metric sizing.