Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Desert Camo Flashed Helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, Today I wanted to share my first Scottish regiment WWII flashed helmet. It just arrived in the mail two days ago, but I was only able to find time to picture it yesterday. Th

Not a good seller. Avoid.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I think it's important to register that fakes that LOOK like this one are prevalant here...and fooling a lot of people...but the fact is no one who's helpfully responded has seen, felt, smelt the one you have. That said it does LOOK like the ones we're seeing. £700 is a lot of cash...a LOT of cash and I'd want to be sure...if youre not, and you have a no-quibble returns arrangement that's one thing...but if you don't I dont know how you prove things...."5 blokes told me on the internet" isn't overly convincing....and if it HAS come from a long term collection I guess there's a chance it would pre-date a lot of the current wave of questionable items ('trying to help / soften the blow here)...but if it was sourced via ebay in say the last 2 years I'd be a lot more wary..... It's a shame no-one's posted yet who may've seen this one on ebay....usually there's someone but time isn't on your side I guess....

I note their Returns policy is based on advising within 7 days from receipt basis...so the clock is ticking I guess....

Good luck!

..just been trawling other posts....is it the same helmet featured in SMP's post of 19/5/16 under the "the new ebay money maker" thread????..there's some Scottish helmets there????

...which has made me think about that particular thread....useful as it is if you were a "newbie" here looking for help on Brit painted MkIIs (that's mostly what appears to be involved here) would they look at a thread heading which contains nowt about the subject mostly covered????....'just a thought....

£700 is a lot of money for a helmet IMO and to have one which has been greeted with doubts is a hard one to bear as it will always prey on your mind.

Does it have home front paint on it? I can't see the texture I would expect from an army helmet.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for helping out everyone. It is very unfortunate that there are doubts about this helmet, but 700 GBP is too much for a possible fake, even if it has a slight chance of being real, but I don't trust things that come from eBay and I thought alliedaxismilitaria didn't get some of their stuff from "evil bay" as they call it. The helmet liner does smell old, and I touched the top of it and I got some old dirt/disintegrating liner on my finger, but if there are all these doubts I cannot have this in my collection knowing that it is from eBay and is possibly a fake. Maybe it's a liner and/or a real helmet, but modern painted? I will ask him to return it and will keep you guys updated. Adrian Stevenson, you said, "Not a good seller. Avoid." Is there any other people who have bought from Dave at alliedandaxismilitaria? He sold previously some Scottish helmets, and still has a few apparently, those helmets looked fine to me and this one did as well. I've bought from him before and he's been great, I'll go to him asking to return the item.
    Last edited by BlackWatch1945; 05-05-2017 at 03:38 PM.

I meant to also ask does anyone have a picture of a different Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders helmet with a flash by chance?

?

I doubt the tan paint is original either, I would return it,

hopefully, and assuming you get your money back, you'll track down one you'll feel happy with...perhaps someone here with knowledge in that area will be able to steer you towards a better one.

For what it's worth (and I suspect that's not a lot) I have to commend the way you've handled this process and not become a "messenger marksman"....you've had some pretty sh*t feedback which some folk would've reacted badly to and taken it out on the posters......this is a massively mature (I HATE that word) approach...keep it up and things will work out for you.....

Good luck Helmeteer!

Just something I noticed about the screw holding the liner in has the smaller head. If you look at where it is, it appears that a larger screw head was there originally when the desert camo was applied.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2