Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Aussie Mk2 helmet

Article about: Morning Gents, I would like to hear your opinions related to this my last pick up, of a few hours ago; I'll show you exactly how I found it without cleaning. Today in my Country is a Nationa

Default Aussie Mk2 helmet

Morning Gents,
    I would like to hear your opinions related to this my last pick up, of a few hours ago; I'll show you exactly how I found it without cleaning.
    Today in my Country is a National holiday, because it is celebrated the end of WW2, and not very far from where I live, in the occasion of this event it is held a antique market, I went there for a ride not too convinced, but I must say that I did very well, because among the objects of a gentleman who exhibited there was also this beauty!
    The owner did not know what it was and called him "English helmet"; of course I hastened to take it because it seems to me an interesting and difficult piece to find in my area.
    This Aussie Mk2 seems in very good condition and I think that all of its components are original.
    It was camouflaged with a passage of dark green painted with a brush.
    Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Greetings
    Roberto

Aussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmet

?

Any ideas when the repaint was done, was this a certain repaint for an area or time.
    Or repainted if used post war?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Any ideas when the repaint was done, was this a certain repaint for an area or time.
    Or repainted if used post war?
    Hi Aaron,
    unfortunately my knowledge of the paint schemes of these helmets is not so deep, I hope can help some Forum Member expert on the topic.

Cheers

Good catch Roberto !!!
    Aaron as far as the painting go, it looks very similar to the way SA helmets used in the italian campaign were painted,
    a darkish green.
    Since australian infantry did not play any role in the italian campaign, at least as far as I know, it could well be an australian lid thrown in with SA helmets, the australian presence in Italy was very limited and as far as I know just RAAF was deployed in the territory and active in combat.

Cheers
    Paolo

?

This helmet seems to have the remains of a similar dark green paint with the same texture, hope the link works .Aussie Lieutenant Helmet

I have equipment that was repainted for jungle use - also drill a uniform dyed for the same reason during transportation from Nth Africa

Hi Roberto, that looks like a nice find and for me the over paint is a period addition. The guys above have shown good reasons for that being the case, well done. Leon.

Thanks Guys,
    your suggestions are all correct and plausible, and still confirmed to me that it was a good buy.
    I would add that a similar repainting, I also found on another my helmet, in this case a British Mk2, used in Italian Campaign, perhaps it belonged to the troops who had previously fought in in North Africa.

Cheers
    Roberto

Aussie Mk2 helmetAussie Mk2 helmet