Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Australian MkII helmet for review

Article about: Hello, Here are some pictures of my Australian MkII helmet with chin strap lugs dated 1942. It was given to me by my father in law who bought it from a garage sale for the princely sum of \\$1

?

Cheers Luke that would be much appreciated. I've had a quick look online and there doesn't seem to be many around. Let me know if you find it and we'll sort something out.
    Alex

Haha, I paid $5 for my Aussie lid at the big Toowoomba swap meet out at Oakey in 1997! I had a stack of about 10 to choose from...those were the days!

?

Wow five dollars each for a piece of WW2 history....you could have bought all ten and it still be cheaper than just one today, going off what most people are charging. I am starting to wish I had bought a lot more stuff when I was younger.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    For $10 you can't go wrong, net is probably a wartime one, while the chin strap is WW2 it is for home front use.
    G'day tinlid are you sure these straps are only HF use only? I've always related these to the MK 4 and later MK 3 helmets? kick me for a correction please

?

Hi Rene, The chin strap shown on this helmet is for home front use, the strap between the spring loaded ends is sort of soft & woolly whereas the army ones are made of stiffer canvas.
    The Mk3 elasticated chin strap used on the Mk2 helmet & HSRAC from early 1941, & of course virtually all Mk3 helmets.
    The Mk4 chin strap which was used on the Mk4 helmet had metal ends on the end of the straps.I think the Mk5 chin straps were the darker colour brown.
    Here's some Mk3 chin straps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian MkII helmet for review   Australian MkII helmet for review  

?

& a Mk4 with a metal end next to a Mk3.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian MkII helmet for review   Australian MkII helmet for review  

?

Pretty sure this is the Mk5 chin strap used on the Mk4/5.

?

Aaron you are spot on with the last one it is indeed a chinstrap from the Mk IV / Mk V i just had a look at my two examples.

Regards Mark K

AIF
    ?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Haha, I paid $5 for my Aussie lid at the big Toowoomba swap meet out at Oakey in 1997! I had a stack of about 10 to choose from...those were the days!
    I still go there every year but it is getting really hard to find anything out there anymore...

AIF
    ?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Cheers Luke that would be much appreciated. I've had a quick look online and there doesn't seem to be many around. Let me know if you find it and we'll sort something out.
    Alex
    Hey Alex, I will give you a yell when I find it mate, you can have it I don't want anything for it.

Luke.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast