Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battle Damaged 1941 MK1 Helmet

Article about: Hi guys, I thought i would share this 1941 British MK1 Helmet with you all, it has the remains of its original green paint with white and dark green paint aswell. It has been struck with two

?

Default Battle Damaged 1941 MK1 Helmet

Hi guys,

I thought i would share this 1941 British MK1 Helmet with you all, it has the remains of its original green paint with white and dark green paint aswell. It has been struck with two rounds on the front (none of which have penetrated), on the back/side it has sustained a mean looking wound which i will let you make up your own minds as to what caused it.

Donnie

?

Default Re: Battle Damaged 1941 MK1 Helmet

It did cross my mind as all the colours seem to be correct for a desert cam lid.....as for history, all i no is it was brought home to England by my freinds grandfather who was Bulgarian and forced at gunpoint to serve in the Wehrmacht, first as a Flak Gunner then as a Pilot on Observation Aircraft. His war led him first from Russia and then to Italy, where i suppose he may have acquired this helmet. The old boy is still alive but refuses to mention the war to anyone at all, we only no those small facts because it was written in a small journal of his.....

Donnie

?

great looking helmet Josh ! Do you think a bayonet could pierce one of these ?

cheers Al

?

The original paint does look like it could be a tan colour Josh which would tie in with Italy what's the interior like ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Oh yes! easily. The force would carry it through.......im glad someone else had the Bayonet idea too

Donnie

?

Could be a hit from an entrenching shovel one of the Germans favourite close combat weapons
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    The original paint does look like it could be a tan colour Josh which would tie in with Italy what's the interior like ?
    Hi mate,

The interior is pretty sparse to be honest, no liner. But where the rounds have hit the paint has come of around them.

Donnie

?

That mate sounds like a good idea, what a brutal way too go.....

Donnie

Hi Josh, it is a "MKII No.2 C" helmet. These were "seconds" which did not pass quality control. Hence the three holes drill in the rim to indicate they were unfit for frontline use. They were also painted a light tan colour not service brown or green. They were kept for civil dence use at Home.

The "MKII No.2 D" had four holes to the rim.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ad.

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Could be a hit from an entrenching shovel one of the Germans favourite close combat weapons
    I would agree with the entrenching tool , you could not put that much force into a bayonet thrust or a slashing movement, John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast