Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Belgian Army in the United Kingdom

Article about: Hi, I'm pretty sure the Belgiums & even the Dutch used WW2 British helmets after the war, & if marked with the national flag how could you know if it was done WW2 or post war? The 4

?

Default Re: Belgian Army in the United Kingdom

Hi,
    I'm pretty sure the Belgiums & even the Dutch used WW2 British helmets after the war, & if marked with the national flag how could you know if it was done WW2 or post war?
    The 4 next to HBH is probably the steel batch number, at present we don't know what maker FH is. The II stands for a mark 2 liner.
    Happy christmas to you all.
    Aaron

?

Thx Aaron.
    I thought the II stands for a mk2, but I wans't sure.

I don't know how you can figure out if a flag is painted on the helmet during ww2 or after. But maybe we should first ask the question '"Did Belgian troops in the UK painted a flag on their helmets?". At this moment I haven't found an original picture from Belgian soldiers in the UK with a flag on their helmets yet. Maby someone else did?
    So for now I think that all Belgian flags are painted on the helmet after the war.

Vinc.

No, the belgians in the UK did paint flags on their helmets. There are numerous pictures to support this, although not necissarily of the Brigade Piron. In fact I have yet to see a picture of a belgian wearing a helmet that doesn't have a flag on its right hand side. The Fusileer bns. (1944-45) did this particually but on the whole they recieved MkIII/IV helmets. There may have been decals used on MKIV helmets just after the war, but certainly not during it.

I.E. Halfway down this page: be4046.eu/BE_UKIntro.htm

Further, every helmet (reputedly of the belgians) in either the museum of military history in Brussels or MNHM (diekirch, Luxembourg) are without the PAINTED flag.

Thanks

Oh VC89

I don't think your helmet is wartime owing to the p/w chinstrap although it might have been refurbished after the war. I am not sure though...

?

It is quite possible that my helmet is British helmet reissued by the belgian army after ww2 but I don't think you can say it for sure just by the chinstrap. As you (Brigade Piron) said it could also been refurbished after the war.
    As an other Example: I have an British Mk. V helmet with a Mk. III chinstrap.

The only thing I'm sure off is that the Belgian army used it before 1949.

Thanks for the link to the picture. If I remember well I checked the site www.brigade-piron.be 1st Belgian Group but couldn't find any flag on the helmets.

See my link above.

Just found thise picture of a Belgian soldier in the Uk army on a car boot sale; I was just wundering what the horizontal bar on the sleeves means? (It seems to be black and red..)
    Belgian Army in the United KingdomBelgian Army in the United KingdomBelgian Army in the United KingdomBelgian Army in the United Kingdom
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Hi,
    It's his arm of service stripe, don't know what black & red stands for, but if it's blue/red then it's royal engineers.
    Aaron

Thanks.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Yes, it should be the same as the British ones...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast