MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Best piece of trench art ever

Article about: This piece came from an airborne medic with the 17th AB. Steel pot is a M-2 D-bail. Jump wings and small AB rocker soldered to brim of helmet. On the 37mm shell casing in descending order, d

ronl
    ?

Default Best piece of trench art ever

This piece came from an airborne medic with the 17th AB. Steel pot is a M-2 D-bail. Jump wings and small AB rocker soldered to brim of helmet. On the 37mm shell casing in descending order, discharge pin, glider assault wings, medical collar device. On the back of the 37 is a carbine proficiency badge. on the base(cut 75mm shell casing) is the soldier's name and ASN made from his ID bracelet. I posted this on another forum years ago, but I thought I'd share it with the members here. It is one of the best and most unique finds I have ever made.Best piece of trench art ever

Default Re: Best piece of trench art ever

Hello roni,
    That is a lovely piece of work. It's inspired me to have a go at making something similar, it will of course be labled as Trench art copy. I'm presently thinking of turning a missile into a standard lamp. (Should I be seeking medical help)?
    All best,
    navyman.

Hi Mate,

Wow , that is something else.... i would love it .... i could put it in my lounge...
    But i think my wife would leave me... this could tip her over the edge...
    mmm, do you want to lend it to me... LOL

Amazing object that's for sure.

Cheers

Gaz

ronl
    ?

Another nice thing about it is that I have a picture of the man tending to a wounded glider pilot during Operation Varsity. The photo was taken by Robert Capa. The man was not even a US citizen. He was born in Italy in 1912, moved to New York City in 1925, and joined the US Army in Dec. of 1943. It is an interesting piece with an interesting history. Researching an artifact is the most fun for me. I do have a few things that do have a history behind them such as the aviator's kit bag that belonged to the PT boat captain that rescued JFK after PT 109 was sunk, and a musette bag that belonged to a navigator on a B-17 that was KIA over Belgium in 1944 in the B-17 "Flak Hack". It's nice to find unique things, but it's much better when you can find out something about the man that owned them.