Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A black painted british Dispatch riders helmet?

Article about: Hello I can't found any information about black painted DR MkI helmet. I can buy this one but I want to know before if the balck color can be WW2 era or post-45 and civilian. Does anybody ha

Default A black painted british Dispatch riders helmet?

Hello

I can't found any information about black painted DR MkI helmet.

I can buy this one but I want to know before if the balck color can be WW2 era or post-45 and civilian.

Does anybody have some information about black DR Mk I?

thank you

Cheers from France

Jean Loup
    Last edited by Jean Loup; 05-04-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Hi Jean Loup,

Firstly the helmet itself looks perfectly good.

As for the colour black I am not aware of any specific examples of this in use.

However, beyond original factory finishing British steel helmets have always been painted / re-painted at unit or even sub-unit level and therefore according to unit policy. Tank regiments, the Royal Corps of Signals, the Royal Regiment of Artillery, light infantry / rifle regiments (this includes Ghurka units) and Irish regiments have all used black as a distinction. But, this looks to be gloss on top of an original sanded green paint so I don't think that this was done for field use and would be for peacetime garrison use. That said, if this is in mainland Europe and it always has been then I think it is likely that it has been painted for civilian use at a time when an ex-military helmet was the only option for any motorcyclist because civilian types were simply not available as industry was geared to produce items of a much higher priority immediately post war. This being the case, to a helmet buff this is probably still worthy of a place in a collection. If the price is right (I would make the post war paint a bargaining point) it might even be possible to carefully remove the black paint as the original finish is clearly still present beneath it.

I think it also very likely that such helmets were used in this way by other services like fire brigade, post office, police etc. Perhaps research of archive photographs in these areas might reveal an answer?

I hope this is helpful and perhaps another member has knowledge of black painted helmets in service?

Regards

Mark
    PS Please upload the pictures to the forum and don't use a hosting service. These pictures will eventually disapper making this thread useless!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-04-2016 at 10:44 AM. Reason: grammar / syntax
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

thank you for this answer. The seller want a least 150 €

I will try to make the price lower!

And thank you for the warning about the pictures, I have make some changes.

Jean Loup

150€ is way too much for this lid!

As you know we shy away from providing a valuation service here for very good reasons but in this case I would hate to see a member pay such an over the top price.

Here is a WWII example in excellent condition for £95 and this is top dealer money!

A853 - WW2 British Dispatch Riders Helmet - £95.00 : RJ Militaria, Military Antiques

There are quite a few mint WWII 1945 dated examples around (ex war stock) so be patient and search the web unless this one can be had for a sensible price.

As I said, use the re-paint as a bargaining point.

Good luck

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

thank you :-)

Jean Loup

i agree with mark. don't get ripped off!
    these are quite easily available, and good nick ones appear on ebay quite often.
    If you are patient you can pick one up for a more reasonable sum

Ok, thank you for this advice :-)

Hello

some news: it can be a "modele 48" from Switzerland, as seen here (exactly as the second helmet from the top!)

.: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 48 :.

Jean Loup

Quote by Jean Loup View Post
    Hello

some news: it can be a "modele 48" from Switzerland, as seen here (exactly as the second helmet from the top!)

.: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 48 :.

Jean Loup
    Maybe but I think I know where the Swiss got them

Here is mine;

A black painted british Dispatch riders helmet?A black painted british Dispatch riders helmet?A black painted british Dispatch riders helmet?A black painted british Dispatch riders helmet?A black painted british Dispatch riders helmet?

Look for the maker mark.

Regards

Mark

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Maybe but I think I know where the Swiss got them
    yes of course, they're british first! the black helmet is a BMB, 1942 made.

Jean Loup