Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Brit MkII - Navy and RAF - colour

Article about: Right...I've had enough. I'm tired of EVERY grey MkII being described as "Navy" or "RAF" when, in most cases, it's obvious that they spent the war on some old blokes head

Default Brit MkII - Navy and RAF - colour

Right...I've had enough.

I'm tired of EVERY grey MkII being described as "Navy" or "RAF" when, in most cases, it's obvious that they spent the war on some old blokes head, bravely touring the streets at night...but certainly never aside a Spit as she was being fueled or manning the Pom-Poms in the Atlantic. That's not to say that our brave non-green lads weren't helmeted as there's plenty of photographic evidence showing that they were.

Is this simply just another case of every Mk6 being "Royal Marine" and every PASGT being a "Parachutist"? And yes, I know that if you're on a huge metal grey thing and your lid needs a lick there ain't gonna be any "Burned Sienna", "Dusky tan" or "Midnight Grey" paint on board......but were there any RULES (and we all know what Al Murray says about rules). Surely they were ALL Khaki underneath?...and textured?.....or were they given smooth grey lids to start with?

...or do we simply wait for "his" book?

I'll keep quiet have only a RAAF

'colour?

mixed

Wait for the book. It'll be along right after Godot shows up.

...'might be a bit too clever for this lot Greg.....but I smiled....

Thank you Aaron....I couldn't find anything "historical" on this one but it was there all the time...so the answer, for the navy at least is......errrrr.......might be textured grey/???