Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

British Brodie Helmet Relic - BEF 1940?

Article about: Hi All, Interested by this helmet; I've been trying to get hold of a decent relic british army helmet from Dunkirk or the Battle of France, 1940. This one is MK II dated 1938 on the chinstra

Default British Brodie Helmet Relic - BEF 1940?

Hi All,

Interested by this helmet; I've been trying to get hold of a decent relic british army helmet from Dunkirk or the Battle of France, 1940.

This one is MK II dated 1938 on the chinstrap lugs that was found in France. As my specific interest is the Battle of France in 1940 I wondered whether there's anything to indicate that this saw use early in the war rather than later i.e Normandy 1944. I know that early dated helmets might have been worn much later in the war.

I know this may seem like a daft question but the things that people know on these forums never fails to astound me and you might be draw on some obscure points and shed some more light on this!

thanks in advance and best wishes,

Simon

British Brodie Helmet Relic - BEF 1940?British Brodie Helmet Relic - BEF 1940?British Brodie Helmet Relic - BEF 1940?British Brodie Helmet Relic - BEF 1940?British Brodie Helmet Relic - BEF 1940?British Brodie Helmet Relic - BEF 1940?

Default Re: British Brodie Helmet Relic - BEF 1940?

I guess the most obvious question to ask would be: Do you know in what part of France it was found? If it comes from the Pas de Calais area then I guess its more likely that it was lost early in the War due to the amount of kit that the British had to leave behind. Cheers.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller on the location. I suppose really it's all I've got to go on!

?

The helmet is pre March 1939 as it has the Mk2 chin strap lugs which you already know as it's dated 38, the nut securing the liner is March 1940 so is getting close to the edge of being a Dunkirk helmet. If the paint on the outside is khaki green & textured & smooth on the inside then that's a good sign too (but might be hard to work out with what's left of the paint)
    If you want a true Dunkirk helmet go for the Mk1*, refurbished WW1 helmets that the army were issued with before or about the same time as the Mk2. Look at pictures of France in 39/40 most of the BEF are wearing them.
    Aaron

Good bit of info there tinlid. I wasn't aware of that. Cheers

Thanks Tinlid. Great information there. So was the large screw seen on my example only introduced in March 1940?

?

The large screw was introduced in 1938 with the large flat nut, but the nut on yours is the Simmonds elastic stop nut which was introduced in 1940.