Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a British camo helmet?

Article about: I have just been up the shed to put some stuff away and i spyed a long forgotten British helmet on a shelf. I decided to give it a wipe over and having done so it looks like it may be camo'd

Default Is this a British camo helmet?

I have just been up the shed to put some stuff away and i spyed a long forgotten British helmet on a shelf. I decided to give it a wipe over and having done so it looks like it may be camo'd. I know they camo'd helmets in Malta but don't know if it happened elsewhere. I might even be seeing things but thought I would ask you guys. I would be interested to see what you think. I see its dated 1939 and has an oval pad in the dome rather than the usual round one but guess this is because its an early helmet.
    All the best from Jersey
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a British camo helmet?   Is this a British camo helmet?  

Is this a British camo helmet?   Is this a British camo helmet?  

Is this a British camo helmet?  

Without seeing it in hand it looks like rust staining, the Malta camo was very distinctive and looked nothing like this!...

I know its not Malta camo, I was asking if they did camo helmets elsewhere. I agree there is some rust to this helmet but there is also small blotches of reddy brown paint over the surface. If you enlarge the photo you can see the difference in the rusty areas as they are just dark, but the colours do show. I don't think in my wildest dreams it makes the helmet valuable in any way it is just out of curiosity.
    D

Yeah i see what you mean, it's a bit of an odd one!...

For all I know it could have been done post war by some kid playing soldiers but it was really dirty when I got it and its been in my shed for years. Having given it a wipe and a closer look, its better than I thought and perhaps a bit more interesting than expected.
    D

I read somewhere that British helmets were sometimes camo painted on the Italian front but i can't find any photographs!...

?

There are quite a few camo patterns, some army some home guard. For me looking at your helmet it is so hard to tell whether it is camo or not, due to the deterioration of the paint over many years in damp/hot conditions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a British camo helmet?   Is this a British camo helmet?  

Attached Images Attached Images Is this a British camo helmet?  Is this a British camo helmet?  Is this a British camo helmet?  Is this a British camo helmet?  Is this a British camo helmet? 

Unfortunately taking a good photo is proving difficult in this case but in the hand it definitely has different coloured paint. What ever the outcome my boy has nabbed it already so it out of my hands now so to speak. Thanks for everyones input.
    d.