Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets

Article about: Just thought I'd put up a mish mash of WW2 British & Canadian nets, hopefully all wartime. The early war nets 1941 being the first year they were worn (maybe right maybe not?) are quite

?

Your welcome Ian excellent lid I had to hunt high and low for my example.

Regards Mark

?

Her is my favourite helmet and currently my only helmet!
    A great example of a mid-late war Mk2 I bought off a fellow member earlier this year. I added what I have to say is by far my favourite ever net to complete it. Often with nets you get them and think 'hmmm not sure this is definitely WWII...or British'. This is often the case with late war knotted nets. This one however is just perfect. Rectangular in shape, very stiff and made of thick cord in a dense weave. It has a really strong contrasting drawstring, is slighlty browning at the edges and smells awful! I have never been more convinced of a legitimate 1940s knotted net.

The helmet is a cracker too. EC & Co 1943 shell and 1941 VERO liner. Original finish, original chinstrap and most likely the original liner. None of the usual evidence or giveaways that anything has been messed with over the years. And it's a size 7 1/4 to boot!

It's my perfect late war helmet!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

?

Nice helmet & net Tom

?

Default Mk2 South Staffords Medical Orderly

A very worn army Mk2 belonging to Carmichael 4911?41(South Staffords) Very faintly can be seen an red cross over to top of the helmet, I presume for an Medical Orderly?
    The helmet is dated 1941 & made by BMB.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

?

A very nice Mk II indeed Aaron all be the red cross is fairly faded and blended in with the helmets finish and patina I would gladly display this helmet in my collection.

Regards Mark

?

Thanks Mark, unfortunately I've put this in the wrong place, & can I move it, no.
    If a Mod could move it to Mk2 Helmets, steel, British & commonwealth, show yours.
    Thanks

?

I managed to acquire this late war Canadian knotted two tone a couple of weeks back these are getting increasingly hard to source with scrim of any sort on them this particular example has what would appear to be old strips of burlap from sand bags which is evident from the one piece which still shows remnants of the chain stitching that was used to close up the bottom and sides of the sand bag and a few strips of oil cloth.
    These are extremely hard to date as to when the scrim was added as they were used for a good many years post war by the Canadian army as well I have seen period images on the Canadian military collectors forum that shows early and late war two tone scrimmed nets still being used as late as the 1960's with what would appear to be war time materials ie... Hessian and America Cloth (Oil cloth).

Regards Mark

?

Mark, did the two tone Canadian woven net come before the two tone knotted type?

?

Hi Aaron sorry for the late reply as to the question on woven and or knotted two tone nets the information out there is quite vague but it is my understanding that the woven nets came out first some time in and around early 1943 and were followed very closely by the knotted variation as you well know the woven nets are very labor intensive and supply and demand warranted speeding up production to accommodate the troops heading over seas.

Regards Mark

?

Here's another woven net that's not often seen, this time on an home guard helmet.

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast