Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets

Article about: Just thought I'd put up a mish mash of WW2 British & Canadian nets, hopefully all wartime. The early war nets 1941 being the first year they were worn (maybe right maybe not?) are quite

Very hard to measure but it seems to be be around 30 x 30 cm, which is 12". It fits an Mk.II shell but only just, as shown in the pic above.

Apparently there is not much known about these nets; hardly any information about them on the net (pun intended) either it seems?

SMP
    ?

New addition: Net original to the helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

?

I've just found the same early British net

Piotrek

SMP
    ?

Congratulations . That version is not so easy to find !

now that looks like a very intricate bit of construction....do you know who made it? (I don't mean David or Leonard...I mean India...Canada....Brits....)

+ great close-up pic PPP-P

SMP
    ?

Quote by Composite View Post
    now that looks like a very intricate bit of construction....do you know who made it? (I don't mean David or Leonard...I mean India...Canada....Brits....)

+ great close-up pic PPP-P
    British

Just found this one at a surplus store last week, hidden in a big crate of random nets.
    I'm assuming this is also an early British type, not bad for €0,50

The 3rd pic is from another net I got from there, I saw it turned up earlier in this thread, but it remained unidentified.
    I also posted it in another thread about a load of British nets I found there, but maybe someone subscribed to this thread
    can shed some more light on it.

?

Nice early British woven net, give you double what you paid for it
    The other one is not one I know, not WW2.

Quote by diver99 View Post
    Im sure i was issued helmet net as in first pic in the 1980's before kevlar helmers came in
    I have only now read this thread for the first time (it was posted before I joined) and I just wanted to add that I agree with the above entirely (except the bit about kevlar!!! but that's just me nit-picking, the Mk6 was ballistic nylon!) I was issued several of these early nets over time usually in lieu of the knotted dark green string type. Annomalies such as this were by no means strange in the British supply system where an old and obsolescent item did not perform in any way differently (such as string, masking tape, insect repellant etc) isolated quantities might remain on a shelf somewhere. EG, when I first joined we still had KF shirts (not the green ones) and I received a Canadian version (with internal chest flap) amongst mine and one of my DPM combat jackets (which should have been a '68 patt) was like the older green type with the storm collar but made in DPM (wish I still had it). Sorry for the long tangential comment, just making the point that for a long time it was not unheard of for non-standard kit to remain in circulation from earlier supplies.

Helmet nets are a case in point and to be honest nobody really noticed beyond the "oh, that one's a bit different". Did nobody think about collectors in the future? Answer; Nope!

I think the best we can do is consider the mainstream and take the oddities on a case by case basis.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast