Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets

Article about: Just thought I'd put up a mish mash of WW2 British & Canadian nets, hopefully all wartime. The early war nets 1941 being the first year they were worn (maybe right maybe not?) are quite

?

Default Re: British & Canadian nets & netted helmets

Nice set Dave the wear and tear just adds to the tan cam net IMO.

Regards Mark K

?

I have a couple of these nets, both with different labels and I have to say that one previously pictured was mine which I re-sold after buying two the same. I bought them from a UK based miltary trader on ebay and I now wonder about the authenticity. Here is a pic of the other two I have and the thing that strikes me is the format is different, even the font size. If they were fake they'd likely all look the same wouldn't they?

Anyway, it's really bugging me I have to say so I'd like some opinions. The nets have a real age to them and residue from copper-based rot proofing. Also, the drawstring is made from a cotton that's not dyed through which I tend to see more often on WWII nets. It's a lighter shade than the net itself.

Thoughts? If anyone can definitely pin them as fakes I might bin the labels. What about the net? Original?

Tom

?

Hi Tom, Both labels are fake, sorry, the seller sticks these labels on other items as well but with different wording for whatever he's selling. The area's where nets were made during WW2 are not London or Leeds, 18"x 18"nets could be WW2 or post war, but the smaller 16" x 16" are all most likely WW2.
    Labels were no doubt used but would have been for bales of nets probably in the hundreds at a time, or just on a crate of nets.

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi Tom, Both labels are fake, sorry, the seller sticks these labels on other items as well but with different wording for whatever he's selling. The area's where nets were made during WW2 are not London or Leeds, 18"x 18"nets could be WW2 or post war, but the smaller 16" x 16" are all most likely WW2.
    Labels were no doubt used but would have been for bales of nets probably in the hundreds at a time, or just on a crate of nets.
    Yeah I figured. I've now replaced the one I had on my unissued Mk3 with one I bought from your website a while ago. It's essentially the same net as the labelled ones but in perfect condition :-)

As further evidence I did some research and neither company appears to have existed which is a fairly bold proof.

T

?

Here's a few more of his fake labels.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I actually ended up leaving feedback for one of these suggesting they're fake. It was deleted and the seller sent the following:

"What did you want for £14.95?...an original Net or an ORIGINAL LABEL?.or obviously both??..or 3 pints of lager?..You wont buy anything else from us for sure.

- militarytrader-uk"

It looks to me like he's admitting they're fake. Sad, very sad and disappointing. Obviously he deems it to be fine to fake items as long as they don't go for over £15.00.

?

What an arsehole.

Last edited by reneblacky; 09-26-2020 at 05:44 AM.

?

Quote by Tom G View Post
    I actually ended up leaving feedback for one of these suggesting they're fake. It was deleted and the seller sent the following:

"What did you want for £14.95?...an original Net or an ORIGINAL LABEL?.or obviously both??..or 3 pints of lager?..You wont buy anything else from us for sure.

- militarytrader-uk"

It looks to me like he's admitting they're fake. Sad, very sad and disappointing. Obviously he deems it to be fine to fake items as long as they don't go for over £15.00.
    they have their own forum if you feel like joining militarytrader.co.uk | Auctions and Classifieds for Worldwide Military Collectibles

?

The left one Rene I would say is a British or Canadian woven type one which is WW2, the other one with lager holes I'm not sure about.

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast