Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?

Article about: This is a helmet I have had for years as it was gifted to me when I was 12 years old or so. I had always assumed it to be an original WW2 Brit helmet. Being a fair bit older now and knowing

Default British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?

This is a helmet I have had for years as it was gifted to me when I was 12 years old or so. I had always assumed it to be an original WW2 Brit helmet. Being a fair bit older now and knowing about the countless scammers out there and the many fake helmets sold I thought I would post some pics of it here and see what the helmet experts on the forums can tell me about this lid.

This helmet has always looked, felt and smelled original and old to me, the year 1940 is also printed on both helmet and liner. But I am no expert to make any judgments.

Also if this was a genuine original North African relic as I had always assumed, how much would something like this be worth? Not that I would ever want to sell it anyway.

British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original? British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original? British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?

British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original? British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original? British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?

The liner has seen better days but is still mostly in tact, with some repairs as seen.

Hard to make out, but the liner is marked 1940.

British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original? British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?   British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?  

British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?   British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?  

British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?   British, Desert rats/7th armored MkII helmet, North Africa Original?  

How long ago were you 12? It appears to have a fairly recent repaint and the Jerboa looks unconvincing for 73-75 years old IMO.

Also remember the 7th were in Europe from late 1943 onward when this version of the Jerboa was introduced so even if it was period done, it would not be from the Desert.

PS, the colour is more typical of home front civilian use than military.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Ah ok, i have no idea what an original or repaint would look like (unless it was obviously new) so thanks for the clarification. However are the dates on the helmet of 1940 still real?

also im in my early 20s now so have had this helmet for around 10 years.

?

Helmet is real in every way, except for the fake badge painted on the side,which kind of ruins it.

I wouldn't have taken the liner out of it either. A lot of helmet collectors prefer them unmessed-with.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I wouldn't have taken the liner out of it either. A lot of helmet collectors prefer them unmessed-with.

B.B.
    The screw was not done up too tight, so was easy to take out. I probably wouldn't have removed it if it was tight.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Helmet is real in every way, except for the fake badge painted on the side,which kind of ruins it.
    Ok great, that's good to know. At least its a WW2 original, even if the paint had been messed with a bit.