Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941

Article about: I bought this togethr with another Warden's Helmet. It has a 1942 liner the shell is dated 1941 but has no rim like other WW2 helmets it looks very much like a WW1 Raw edge Brodie but clearl

Default British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941

I bought this togethr with another Warden's Helmet. It has a 1942 liner the shell is dated 1941 but has no rim like other WW2 helmets it looks very much like a WW1 Raw edge Brodie but clearly is not!

Any help gratefully received.

thanks

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941  British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941  British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941 

Default Re: British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941

Aarons the most knowledgeable on these lids but i can help a little......these helmets were for homefront useage and the rim was purposely left off in order to reserve steel much needed elsewhere,i think they were all made by just one manufactuer,only my 2 cents............

?

Hi Mark,
    During early 1941 BMB (Briggs Motor Bodies) produced these rimless Mk2's. They were destined to be ordinary Mk2 No.1's, ( for use by the armed forces) but as there was a shortage of helmets for the Home guard & the ARP it was agreed this would be a quick way to fill that gap.

Thanks very much chaps it fits with the source of both helmets.

?

I thought I would add something to this discussion. Australian combat helmets during the Second World War were also rimless. They have sand in the paint rather then the glossy paint finish of this helmet. Just something to lookout for in the future.

Buna is correct re WW2 Australian produced MKII helmets.
    No folded/rolled rim
    Here's some of my examples for comparison,

British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941British helmet - raw edged but dated 1941

Cheers
    Dave

Welcome to the Forum Buna.

Nice Aussie lids and woven nets Thanks for posting.

Cheers, Mads