Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

British Helmets - What comes first? The rivets or the paint?

Article about: Hello all. First post here so …here goes. Just recently started collecting helmets to go with the guns I have been repairing over the years. My question is on the British helmets. How would

?

Default British Helmets - What comes first? The rivets or the paint?

Hello all. First post here so …here goes.
    Just recently started collecting helmets to go with the guns I have been repairing over the years. My question is on the British helmets.

How would (for example a Mk1) have looked on the very first day it was made. What I mean is it would have been painted before the liner was added right? So does that mean that on day one every new helmet had a copper coloured dot on the top from the liner rivet? Or would a chap have been sat at the end of the production line putting a dob of paint on the rivet? Otherwise a real one would have no paint on the rivet.

Also, would the shell have been painted before the chinstrap bails were riveted or after? If it was after then an original helmet should have no paint under the chinstrap bails and some overspray on the brass D rings….

A, trying to get an idea of how they looked new
    B, possibly looking at another possible way for me to spot a fake

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

Kind regards
    Poccur
    Last edited by Poccur; 03-12-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling!!!!

Default Re: British Helmets - What comes first? The rivets or the paint?

This video displays the production of the M.1917 Doughboy and should answer most of your questions as the proces is nearly identical.

YouTube - American helmet production

Great video thanks for the link.

ERIC

?

Yes, great video indeed. It look as though the bails and liner are added to the painted shell and the man at 3mins 19 is making a dot on the copper top liner rivet. So in theory, on day one a brand new helmet would have had a painted top liner rivet and the chinstrap bail rivets un painted top and bottom. I just wondered how they would have looked new.
    Especially the type A and B, I have only ever seen them old, rusty with a few specs of paint but cannot help but wonder how they looked on that first day in 1915...or so....
    Thanks for the responses