Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British Mark 4 helmet

Article about: Hi Fellow collectors, here's a British Korean War era helmet which I thought you might like to see. I do have a question which I hope you can help me with, which is why were these helmets pa

?

Hi M1910, All army helmets would have been factory finished in dark brown by 44/45, although I believe other army equipment was going over to olive drab.
    The first Mk3's were painted khaki green then dark brown, these Mk3's & 4's would have been refurbished in the 50's with olive drab, or in the field with OD.

?

Hi to everyone!
    I got this canadian helmet time ago
    Could you give more informations? Do you think it's a ww2 helmet?British Mark 4 helmetBritish Mark 4 helmetBritish Mark 4 helmet
    Thank you very much.

a superb timewarp example opex and to think over 60 years old now so quite a vintage ,ive noticed the prices are slowly starting to rise on these and about time too ,ive had a couple of these black painted varieties and my own theory is based on the fact that all were heavily scrimmed in hessian and netting etc so perhaps no need to be painted od and paul a great helpfull link as always ,allthough i briefly scrolled down and didnt use the translate i noticed a desert disruptive pattern cover of which id like to learn more about
    Regards James

?

Quote by NIKRSM View Post
    Hi to everyone!
    I got this canadian helmet time ago
    Could you give more informations? Do you think it's a ww2 helmet?British Mark 4 helmetBritish Mark 4 helmetBritish Mark 4 helmet
    Thank you very much.
    NIKRSM this Mk IV has been posted and commented on once already ( 14th Canadian Army Tank Regiment helmet) and I am still of the opinion it is a post war helmet as there is no period evidence to support the Mk IV was worn and used by Canadian troops serving in the ETO.

Regards Mark

hello nik ,i think there is a time and a place to ask this question about your supposed canadian mkIV and it would appear you already have done so once or perhaps you did'nt agree with the advise given
    Regards James

?

[QUOTE=James C;1202057]hello nik ,i think there is a time and a place to ask this question about your supposed canadian mkIV and it would appear you already have done so once or perhaps you did'nt agree with the advise given[/QUOTE

Sorry so much. I'll not do something like this again.
    Regards

?

Nic there is no reason to be sorry if for some reason you do not agree with opinions that have been put forward on a piece in your collection you will need to back up your thoughts and or your own opinion with details to make your point and or prove the item you are referring to has a place in history and is not a made up piece .
    It is just with what is currently known to us about Canadian military history there is as of yet no period evidence to support these were used I have heard whispers and have reference (Tin Lids by Roger Lucy ) to the Mk IV being used by the Canadians in the Middle East early post war but can not substantiate the information I would love to be wrong on this point .

Regards Mark

?

Quote by James C View Post
    a superb timewarp example opex and to think over 60 years old now so quite a vintage ,ive noticed the prices are slowly starting to rise on these and about time too ,ive had a couple of these black painted varieties and my own theory is based on the fact that all were heavily scrimmed in hessian and netting etc so perhaps no need to be painted od and paul a great helpfull link as always ,allthough i briefly scrolled down and didnt use the translate i noticed a desert disruptive pattern cover of which id like to learn more about

Thanks James, I particularly like this one as it has been un-messed with and is a good example of it's genre, I think your theory makes sense, as all these helmets seemed to be scrimmed/camoflagued in some way or the other.

That Desert cover example on the French forum is very interesting indeed, and appears to be 4 colour DDPM which was an export pattern and never issued to UK troops????
    I have seen another example of it's type on another forum so I guess they must exist, but a mystery nevertheless.

Now here's a theory Iraq was issued this pattern, and I believe they wore these helmets..not sure just a theory??

Thanks again buddy

Well Gary if im honest im no big fan of Brit mk3/4/5,much prefer mk2's however as Korea is such a massive part of British History it is important to own one from this time frame. it looks in good condition especially the liner,and i did hear that the Black painted types did see service in N.Ireland,but not 100% sure,other than that mate can't really add much else...........

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Well Gary if im honest im no big fan of Brit mk3/4/5,much prefer mk2's however as Korea is such a massive part of British History it is important to own one from this time frame. it looks in good condition especially the liner,and i did hear that the Black painted types did see service in N.Ireland,but not 100% sure,other than that mate can't really add much else...........

Hi Jake , to be honest I am not a huge fan of the shape, but like you stated they are a huge representation of the type worn in Korea, it is the best example of it's type I own and as noted is in great condition. The Ni theory is good to know too buddy, thanks for looking and your opinions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2