Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

British Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmet

Article about: Guys...I've just spent 300 years (nearly) working through screens and screens of 1 & 2 page threads on the Mk4. Most of the MkII stuff now gets added to one highly informative (and BIG)

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Great to see All, I've only these and I not know much about them! The black one I believe is a WW2 type? but that's as far as I can go! Could the chinstrap rivet placement be a determining factor of sorts? ADP not sure on that too?
    Sorry for posting this one as it is not Australian! Azerbaijan Democratic Party yes? naa yes!

A recent addition.

'45 dated BMB shell with '53 dated CCL Lift-the-Dot liner. I like the whole Jason Lee scrim thing going on there

British Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmet

Messrs Lid and SMP will, I hope, tell me the ladys name who wove the net and the cotton content thereof :-)

So what do we know about straps on these things? Were they ALL (and always) the useless elasticated thingy (presumably officially that's actually "Strap, Helmet, Useless, Green, Wobble-head") or did the ol' Webbing ones have their day in the sun early on? And what about the black plastic chin-cup that crops up....I always thought they were restricted to the AFV helmet although I've seen them on RM-worn versions....were they actually desired or ditched? What we need is some old soldiers here.....oh, hang on......... :-)

Quote by Composite View Post
    So what do we know about straps on these things?
    Good point. I am easily confused if not outright baffled by *everything* about the 3/4 - paint colours and textures, straps, liners. Everything. No, stop, I have internalised the idea that the liners are infinitely variable through time and there is almost no way to be sure that any liner in the helmet *now* is the one that was in it at the time of issue. If there was indeed a liner in it at the time of issue - how many shells were handed out without liners at all? And were chinstraps installed? Or what? I suppose what we need to know is what was the actual state of a 3/4 when it first left the QM store.

There ought to be a simple chart explaining all this - why doesn't someone with experience of compiling a book about something really complex like Home Front helmets knock up a simple monograph between lunch and dinner? Why?

I do have my twenty-odd 3/4 all in a neat heap at the moment so I did think of going to check what's on where, but what would that prove?

Chincup? Black plastic chincup? Well, that's new for me. Admittedly I don't have many AFV/HSRAC examples but I have looked at a lot and *never* seen this. I lead a sheltered life.

re Chin Cup...see Jerry "Digger" Bond's post #3....rarely seen on a 3/4/5...but there it is....

And I agree re a "chart"...the trouble is, the bloke I know is still trying to chonologise (what a word that is!!) the 6,7 and Virtus........ :-)

I read somewhere, it may of even been on one of the Few threads of Mk4/5 helmets here, That when a Soldier was posted to a new Unit they kept there shell and just had New liners issued from the QM. May be Hearsay but thats what i read..
    regards

that would be interesting....as you'd expect someone to keep their LINER and perhaps have the shell switched like they did on the Home Front in WW2

?

Not my area collecting the Mk4, but I found this little bit of info' on the net. Any use??

"The later 'spider' foam and 'sock' liner was actually designated 1956 Pattern in official trials and introduction paperwork, though one original document I have refers to it as 1957 Pattern, but I assume that is a typo! The earliest production examples are dated 1959"

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Not my area collecting the Mk4, but I found this little bit of info' on the net. Any use??"
    Certainly useful and interesting, so thank you. Can you give us the URL of where you found it? I do wish people would include references when they say something vague like "I found it on the internet", because there's always the possibility all kinds of other interesting stuff might be there.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast