Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

British Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmet

Article about: Guys...I've just spent 300 years (nearly) working through screens and screens of 1 & 2 page threads on the Mk4. Most of the MkII stuff now gets added to one highly informative (and BIG)

It's been suggested to me that a Quick Release strap shouldn't and wouldn't've been on such a helmet......discuss.......

Quote by Composite View Post
    It's been suggested to me that a Quick Release strap shouldn't and wouldn't've been on such a helmet......discuss.......
    Well, it did strike me as highly unlikely , but I didn't want to make a fuss for fear of being corrected by, oh, say, Marcus Cotton or some Advanced Collector like that.

But seriously folks, the whole point of the QR strap is 'quick release' and weren't most of the complaints about the Mk3/4/'5' usually about it being so damned hard to keep on your head in any circumstance bar standing at attention (unless there was a high wind...). So it would seem whatever the polar opposite of gilding the lily might be. And I can't see any way in which it might make the helmet actually hold to the head any better. There's also the point that I've never seen this fitting before - which doesn't make it impossible, but might indicate it as being thoroughly non-standard.

Looks great with the paint and net, no idea on the strap other than either just purely squaddie personal taste or added by a nincompoop....
    Last edited by Jerry B; 12-01-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Interesting...thank you....my thoughts were kinda along that line BUT the ol' bungee cord which was the MkIII (Mk3?) strap seemed to be to blame for the not-staying-on-head syndrome...and I'd assumed that someone with a particularly bruised head had gone in search of a strap with no "give".

'guess someone will battle thru this non-TR Tumbleweed who's served and tell us whether strap switching occurred...

...."nincompoop" :-) never seen that written down before.......!

Interesting...thank you....my thoughts were kinda along that line BUT the ol' bungee cord which was the MkIII (Mk3?) strap seemed to be to blame for the not-staying-on-head syndrome...and I'd assumed that someone with a particularly bruised head had gone in search of a strap with no "give".

'guess someone will battle thru this non-TR Tumbleweed who's served and tell us whether strap switching occurred...
    if you look at the ligthweight para lid, chinstrap switching was almost de rigeur. Part of the "ally" look no doubt and probably not relevant.

I can see the appeal of having a chinstrap that did not stretch and flop about being a must have.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

‘Anyone got a spare liner “sock” or seen them for sale?

....anyone????

Thanks for all the offers :-)..."sock" now acquired....but now looking for a LTD Liner....pre-sock......

'anyone?

As for the strap I am going to say "no way" that item for sure is Toms' own handiwork. It certainly was not the chinstrap to blame for the bouncy castle effect, it was the bloody awful liner!

As for the MkIV verus MkV thing I believe this is due to assumption (you know; assume makes an ass out of "U" and me). The shell was always nominated MkIV right to the end in the stores catalogue and in unit equipment tables, everywhere! The "sock" liner was nominated MkV so for me that is the answer.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast