Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Mk.1* steel helmet

Article about: My latest buy a classic MK.1* with a MK.1 chin strap, MK.1 chin strap lugs and MK.1 liner. It was originally a rimless War office pattern Helmet the makers or suppliers mark is H/S for Hadfi

Default British Mk.1* steel helmet

My latest buy a classic MK.1* with a MK.1 chin strap, MK.1 chin strap lugs and MK.1 liner. It was originally a rimless War office pattern Helmet the makers or suppliers mark is H/S for Hadfields Ltd. The liner was made by Helmets Ltd dated 1937 it also still has quite a lot of its sand paint left but the real surprise was when I was cleaning it with an oily rag I felt a smooth square on one side which turned out to be three painted vertical bars of definitely blue and white on the outside bars but the middle one is badly faded it could be red but I would not put money on it, anybody have any idea what it is I am assuming its from WW11.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk.1* steel helmet   British Mk.1* steel helmet  

?

Default re: British Mk.1* steel helmet

Nice helmet. I can't think of any country flag with those colors.

Nitram

?

A great looking helmet, more than likely refurbed in 37/38 with the MkI liner & chin strap. The flash on the side is I think Royal army service corps, blue, yellow, white.
    Quite a rare helmet,
    Aaron

I t looks like yellow in the middle on my monitor (well it's a tablet PC, so the whole thing is a monitor, but i digress), and if so it's a Royal Army Service Corps flash: blue, yellow, white. That would make sense, these helmets were not issued to front line units, but certainly transport drivers etc.

Lovely helmet, Joseph. Getting closer to the goal then? One helmet of every type issued to the British forces

Rob

Thanks Aaron, Rob what I'm seeing as red is probably rust but now you have said it, it does look yellow . When I first saw pictures of it all I could make out for sure was that it was a MK.1* and that it had a MK.1 chin strap which I did not have so I bought it mainly for the chin strap and I was feeling I bit guilty over spending on it until I held in my hands and realised that it was a War office pattern which I also didn't have then I found the flash so now I think I got a bargain.

Still loads of helmets to find yet Rob but getting there slow but sure.

Rob have you seen this post I thought it would be right up your street.

Telephone attachment headgear A.A. MK.111

?

I don't know how many but I expect quite a few of these helmets were used in 39/40 in France.
    A friend of mine has this Malta camo, classic refurb, with 37 dated liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk.1* steel helmet   British Mk.1* steel helmet  

British Mk.1* steel helmet   British Mk.1* steel helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images British Mk.1* steel helmet 

Quote by joseph barrett View Post
    Thanks Aaron, Rob what I'm seeing as red is probably rust but now you have said it, it does look yellow . When I first saw pictures of it all I could make out for sure was that it was a MK.1* and that it had a MK.1 chin strap which I did not have so I bought it mainly for the chin strap and I was feeling I bit guilty over spending on it until I held in my hands and realised that it was a War office pattern which I also didn't have then I found the flash so now I think I got a bargain.

Still loads of helmets to find yet Rob but getting there slow but sure.

Rob have you seen this post I thought it would be right up your street.

Telephone attachment headgear A.A. MK.111
    You're welcome.. great minds thought alike there, I must have been typing my reply as Aaron posted his That's a great helmet for sure, I have a Canadian modified one (also made from a British rimless type), which doesn't have a flash though. In fact, Canada continued converting to Mk I* well into the war for home service troops, even converting old US M1917 shells to Mk I* spec.

I didn't see that post actually, but i will reply to it.. you're right, definitely my kind of thing

Rob

Love the Malta camo Aaron, I should be going to Malta in October if all goes to plan I have been before so I know I will not be falling over camo helmets unfortunately.

Thanks Rob.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The flash on the side is I think Royal army service corps, blue, yellow, white.
    Quite a rare helmet,
    Aaron
    I agree on the flash,JB.
    That IS a good helmet
    Here is my RASC 1940 MkII.