Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British MK.II helmet Afrika?

Article about: Hi, I have these photos about a british Mk. II, I like color and liner but I'not sur it is british. I know many of this helmet was used from many country during and post ww2... The liner of

Default British MK.II helmet Afrika?

Hi,
    I have these photos about a british Mk. II, I like color and liner but I'not sur it is british. I know many of this helmet was used from many country during and post ww2...
    The liner of these is marked: TTC II 1939 and I don't know the size... On the steel I don't see any mark or date...
    The seller offer this helmet as ww2 british Afrika or italian front (8th Army).
    What do you think, it haas some chance, it really can be an italian or Afrika ww2 front? Or it come frome one of that country that used it after war? (egipt, norway etc.)
    Please let me know, because I qould like buy.
    Thanks
    Partisan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MK.II helmet Afrika?   British MK.II helmet Afrika?  

British MK.II helmet Afrika?  

The liner is made by Teddy Toy Company so that's British chinstrap looks like the British type The shell looks like a definite British MK.II shell but the paint is hard to judge

Best regards
    Matt

Hard to say when this British helmet was over painted in this colour, it might be period or post war as you mention.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

IMO the shell stands a very good chance of being British war time manufactured it has a few tell tale signs it has the earlier Mk I liner securing bolt with the 16 .25 mm broad pan head that was introduced after January 1938 ,the chinstrap securing lugs looks to be the Mk III type adopted after February of 1939 and the shell looks to be sporting a stainless steel rim .
    As previously mentioned by steelhead and Jerry the desert tan over paint is very hard to judge from these images better detailed daylight photos would be helpful but still might not give a definitive answer so if you have your heart set on buying it a bit of a leap of faith may be required on this one and you will have to decide if you can live with it in your collection with a question mark over it .

Regards Mark

In your opinion, how many chances has it? 10%, 50%, 90% ?
    Thanks
    Partisan

Quote by partisan View Post
    In your opinion, how many chances has it? 10%, 50%, 90% ?
    Thanks
    Partisan

It appears to have original textured paint underneath the overpaint which is a good sign as many post war repaints were stripped to bare metal before repainting, but it is impossible to tell from these pics when this was done, as they make the paint look relatively recent. You need to see it in hand or if not try and get the seller to take some more pics outside in natural light. At the moment maybe a 40% chance it is period done, it also depends on the price, if cheap enough it might be worth the risk.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    ...it also depends on the price, if cheap enough it might be worth the risk.

The price is 150 euros and in my opinion it is not a low price...

Quote by partisan View Post
    The price is 150 euros and in my opinion it is not a low price...
    That is very high and for that price I would wait for a better and more certain example.
    Regards,

Jerry

SMP
    ?

I think this has 0% chance of being a WW2 British camo. No original was ever camouflaged inside the dome like this.

Post war for sure.

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    IMO the shell stands a very good chance of being British war time manufactured it has a few tell tale signs it has the earlier Mk I liner securing bolt with the 16 .25 mm broad pan head that was introduced after January 1938 ,the chinstrap securing lugs looks to be the Mk III type adopted after February of 1939 and the shell looks to be sporting a stainless steel rim .
    As previously mentioned by steelhead and Jerry the desert tan over paint is very hard to judge from these images better detailed daylight photos would be helpful but still might not give a definitive answer so if you have your heart set on buying it a bit of a leap of faith may be required on this one and you will have to decide if you can live with it in your collection with a question mark over it .

Regards Mark
    Just Call me Matt (thats for everone)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast