Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

British MK III

Article about: Hi Thought I would show my British MK III helmet in original colours with a 1944 dated BMB made liner. The shell appears to be maker stamped but it is incredibly light so its impossible to r

Default British MK III

Hi

Thought I would show my British MK III helmet in original colours with a 1944 dated BMB made liner. The shell appears to be maker stamped but it is incredibly light so its impossible to read without removing the liner, something I wish to avoid. The shell does have a prominent rectangular dent visible on the outside I have read in an earlier thread that is a sign that it is made by BMB. Is this true?

thanks

ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MK III   British MK III  

British MK III   British MK III  

Attached Images Attached Images British MK III 

?

Default Re: British MK III

Hi Ian,
    Nice MkIII, it could be a BMB, I know the stamp does show through sometimes. I saw one yesterday where the maker name was on the outside, RO&CO.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MK III   British MK III  

Nice helmets guys!

I've noticed with my mkIII's that BMB manufactured helmets have a welded up rim seam joint...my RO&Co. helmets are not welded but have a small space at the rim seam joint. Can anyone else verify this?

Dale

All three of mine have welded rim seams. But I cannot see any makers marks.

Cheers, Ade.

BMB produced helmets always seem to have a slight bump on the outside of the helmet opposite of the stamp inside. BMB stamped their helmets at an almost 90 degree angle to the rear seam of the helmet causing the bump...R.O.& Co. helmets are stamped more parallel to the rim. I would almost guarantee the first helmet shown is a BMB, but the bump on it is more prominent than I'm use to seeing.

Tinlids MkIII shows the BMB stamp well...and I bet if he ran his finger on the outside of the helmet he could feel the bump left by the III & 44 portion of the stamp that is closer to the crown. This is how I identify the mfr. on helmets with obscured stamps...if the helmet is heavily sand camouflaged or repainted, then I use the rim seam as an identifier. On every mkIII that had a readable stamp, the rim seam matched the manufacturer...so far.

I will photograph the rear seam joint tonight and post it, tell you the truth I haven't looked closely at it. I also have another mk3 with a 1952 dated liner that was used postwar by the local regiment , it is overpainted black although the original green can be seen on the inside. It has no maker mark that I can see, so I will use the "rim" method.

ian

?

Hi,
    Thanks for the minute detail info' on spotting the difference between BMB & ROCO, most helpful
    first pic' BMB rim join, 2nd, RO&CO join, 3rd, horizontal RO&CO to the rim.
    Aaron

British MK III  

Thumbs up Re: British MK III

Here are the other pictures I promised.
    First the rim joint of the BMB one
    Second rim joint for supposedly a Ro&Co made one. This one also has the number 976 stamped on the front part of the shell.
    These pictures prove Dale's identification methods.

thanks