Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Mk IV or V

Article about: Hi, I have found a British helmet but I don't know if the shell is made as an MK IV or MK V, they are identical (except for the liner). I found on the world wide web that the the shells made

?

Default British Mk IV or V

Hi,
    I have found a British helmet but I don't know if the shell is made as an MK IV or MK V, they are identical (except for the liner). I found on the world wide web that the the shells made before 1956 are MK IV and after that MK V and that this is the only way to identify them (True??).

In my shell I can't see any markings. So is there any other way to date this shell?

The shell came with a MK V liner but the chinstraps looks like the ones used by the MK III helmets.

Vinc.

The chinstrap:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

?

Default Re: British Mk IV or V

Hi,
    I thought the only difference between a MkIV & a MkV was the liner, it had a sort of a sock material around the liner.
    Aaron

?

What was interesting for me was that I own a mark IV, which was clearly British. But at the same time I was serving as a reservist in the Irish army who used Mark IVs. I was issued with a Mark IV but it was obviously lighter than than my own helmet. It wasn't a Mark V because it didn't have the padding. So it was obvious that there were differences, certainly with the weight. That I have to say it puzzles me somewaht.

?

Hey,
    The difference in the liner was more than just that sock. The Mk IV liner was like the Mk II but with a lift the dot system and the Mk V had more padded liner.

Mk IV (left) and Mk V (right)

MkV (parts of the liner)

About the weight of the helmets, I have no idea.

But maybe I should refrase my question:
    Is it possible to date the shell without markings?

Aaron is right that only the liner was different (as far as I know). I want to know the date to see if the liner I got is the original liner (shell made after 1956, Mk V liner) or that the original liner was replaced (shell made before 1956, mk IV liner).