Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British Mk2 Helmet

Article about: andy your recent brit aquisition got me thinking about my examples ,particulary the liner configuration ,ive just looked and realised i have the earlier mk1 liner in my wardens helmet ,so iv

andy your recent brit aquisition got me thinking about my examples ,particulary the liner configuration ,ive just looked and realised i have the earlier mk1 liner in my wardens helmet ,so ive learned something new today ,many thanks for kickstarting my appreciation of this helmet genre ,if you dont mind id like to show you my pair for comparison of the liners ,if a problem i will delete,thanks jamesBritish Mk2 Helmet

Quote by James C View Post
    andy your recent brit aquisition got me thinking about my examples ,particulary the liner configuration ,ive just looked and realised i have the earlier mk1 liner in my wardens helmet ,so ive learned something new today ,many thanks for kickstarting my appreciation of this helmet genre ,if you dont mind id like to show you my pair for comparison of the liners ,if a problem i will delete,thanks jamesBritish Mk2 Helmet
    I've not got any of these but that's usefull info mate!...

I don't mind at all mate, it's good to get as much info around as possible I learned something too.

Thanks for the further compliments guys. I might pick up one or two more, maybe with a flash or net etc for some variation.

?

Hi Mark K, There was also another nut & bolt, a small domed bolt with small nut, sometimes it came with a washer. You see them a lot on home front helmets, whether they came from the factory like that probably from 1941 onwards, or were replaced when a helmet went back to stores.(to save on brass,). I'm pretty sure if you see these small nut & bolts on an army helmet (textured paint) then it's probably home guard.
    The smaller nut also came with the Mk1 & Mk2 nut.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk2 Helmet   British Mk2 Helmet  

British Mk2 Helmet   British Mk2 Helmet  

?

Thanks for the additional information tinlid you are 100% spot on if I remember correctly the smaller variation was brought in mid to late war as part of a strategy to conserve on materials.
    From left to right is the early 1938 Mk I first variation I do believe the last one shown is the nut and bolt set you are referring to please correct me if I am mistaken.

Regards Mark K
    Attached Images Attached Images British Mk2 Helmet 

?

The last one is the Mk3, smaller head size than the Mk1 & 2, but still with the Simmonds elastic stop nut introduced sometime in 1942. The one I mentioned has an even smaller head, & sometimes comes with an washer, either inside or on the outside.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk2 Helmet   British Mk2 Helmet  

British Mk2 Helmet  

?

Thanx for the images first time Ihave ever seen the Mk III combo can not say I have ever seen them used on Canadian issued MkII helmets

Regards Mark K

?

The Mk3 nut & bolt was not used on the Canadian Mk2 as far as I know, but I guess as with other military items the Canadians didn't have to tighten their belts during the war.
    The Mk3 N&B was used on the Mk2, Mk3, Mk1 HSRAC & Mk1 HSDR (fibre rim) & the Mk1 HSAT. Although some think the N&B on the HSAT might be slightly different.

British Mk2 Helmet   British Mk2 Helmet  

Maybe someone could post a thread on the minutiae of British helmets, the liner patterns, the nuts, the chinstraps, the lugs and the shells?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

[QUOTE=tinlid;983077]The Mk3 nut & bolt was not used on the Canadian Mk2 as far as I know, but I guess as with other military items the Canadians didn't have to tighten their belts during the war.

Sorry you feel like that but it is far from the truth we were the first to answer the call and many civilians did with out so are military and members of the common wealth could be supplied with war essentials

Regards Mark K
    Last edited by Mark K; 09-16-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling punctuation correction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast