Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

British MkII? GCD. Identification

Article about: Hi I got this mk2 i think it is british but there isn't any siganaturex except something what looks like C 33, and only a stamp. Others mk2 have signatures of maker. This one have only nice

?

Post British MkII? GCD. Identification

Hi
    I got this mk2 i think it is british but there iare no siganatures except something what looks like C 33, and only a stamp. Others mk2 have signatures of maker. This one have only nice markings on liner BMB 1939.
    I have no idea what could it be, someone can help? Maybe its canadian? Or fake?

British MkII? GCD. IdentificationBritish MkII? GCD. IdentificationBritish MkII? GCD. IdentificationBritish MkII? GCD. IdentificationBritish MkII? GCD. IdentificationBritish MkII? GCD. Identification

Thank you for answer
    Best regards

It's a British helmet. The 'BMB' on the liner indicates the manufacturer of Briggs Motor Bodies, Dagenham. The 'C' stamp on the shell could indicate the manufacturer Clydesdale Stamping Co Ltd, Dudley. They manufactured helmets from 1939-1940, so it fits with the date on the liner.

Not sure what the 'GCD' marking indicates. It's a personal marking, added by the owner.

Regards, B.B.

As far as I can see this is all original. The BMB marking is for Briggs Motor Bodies of Dagenham, London.

Brodie B has faster digits!

?

Thanks for quick reply
    Thats great, means I have original, early war helmet
    Again thank you for asnwer

It is indeed an early war helmet, with the correct chinstrap for the date of manufacture. Later war helmets were given chinstraps made from a single piece of elasticated canvas, as with the helmet below.

British MkII? GCD. Identification

Regards, B.B.

?

C33 will be the steel batch number.
    I expect the date/maker name will be under the chin strap lug.
    BMB were good at that.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkII? GCD. Identification