Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British MkII helmet...Afrika?

Article about: Hi, I can buy this beautiful (in my opinion) MK 2 helmet. The only strange thing is for me the color (pink/sand). In your opinions it can be an early Afrika front helmet? Shell is marked 194

SMP
    ?

All army MKIIs were painted shiny brown inside and out, then a non-reflective khaki was painted over the shiny brown on the outside only.

I didn't know this, thanks
    Other opinion?
    Thanks
    partisan

?

Smooth khaki green paint used on a Mk2 No.1 (Manganese steel) for use on the home front.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkII helmet...Afrika?   British MkII helmet...Afrika?  

?

Camouflaged, as of 1939 in an effort to standardize the ARP helmets (Mk2 No.1 manganese steel) were painted black. That's why you see quite a few home front helmets with khaki green inside but have been repainted black on the outside, although not all adhered to this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkII helmet...Afrika?   British MkII helmet...Afrika?  

?

The all important army Mk2 No.1, smooth khaki green inside, & textured khaki green outside.

?

Then in 1941 they started painting them textured khaki green inside & out, but whether this was just one coat of textured paint over the helmet without the smooth first, I don't know.

Thank you very much tinlid, very interesting post!
    But now I'm much confused... Returning to my helmet, what is your idea?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2