Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British MkIII steel helmet "The Turtle"

Article about: Here is another of my rapidly expanding "battle bowler" pile. It's a MkIII and has been "field painted" ie after issue and by hand not sprayed in the typical shade of mat

Default British MkIII steel helmet "The Turtle"

Here is another of my rapidly expanding "battle bowler" pile.

It's a MkIII and has been "field painted" ie after issue and by hand not sprayed in the typical shade of matt olive green used by the British Army up until the introduction of IRR NATO paints and sand (but not much) or similar was mixed into the paint. This was applied to the inside of the shell too which obscures the shell date and maker stamp. However as the MkIII was only manufactured from late '43 to early '45 I'm confident it is war time issued.

The liner is marked BMB 1943 and is in excellent condition. The chinstrap is period and also in good condition.

I wanted to add a good representation of the MkIII and I reckon this one fits the bill. I am in two minds whether to fit a period net because it seems to me that these were worn just as often with or without nets. Personally I am inclined to vote "with". We'll see.

I would like to know what other members think of this one.

British MkIII steel helmet "The Turtle"British MkIII steel helmet "The Turtle"British MkIII steel helmet "The Turtle"British MkIII steel helmet "The Turtle"British MkIII steel helmet "The Turtle"British MkIII steel helmet "The Turtle"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Is that the original khaki green factory applied paint inside?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Is that the original khaki green factory applied paint inside?
    I think so but there is more than just the original paint present which is not at all unusual with British helmets because kit has always been over painted many times as routine maintenance (old army saying; "If it moves, salute it, if it doesn't, paint it") but either way the maker and date stamp is obscured.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

If it is khaki green, it'll be a BMB made shell. Date/maker name will be vertical to the rim at rear inside, sometimes you can see where the stamp left an imprint showing on the outside.
    But as you know, even knowing where it is the textured paint makes it unreadable.

I could never find the markings on my MKIII.

A fine example imo Mark
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.