Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

?

As a collector of only WW2 helmets that Belgium Mk3 clone is a bit of a worry. But as you said not many were made, & hopefully the colour & probably the texture would be different.
    Thanks for showing me something I haven't seen before.

Whats the Maker of the shell on the Belguim one or is there no marks?

?

The liner is Comet 1950. There are no marks on the body but I understand that Belgian helmets of this period were made by U.M.A.L., USINES & MANUFACTURES D’ALUMINIUM & D'ALLIAGES LÉGERS (Factories and Manufacturers of aluminium and light alloys) located in Burcht.
    In any event, the Belgian collector who first told me about these helmets says they are hard to find, and given their magnetic rim and lugs should be easy to identify. Myself I was very pleased to find one.
    Roger

?

As would I be happy to have one in my own collection Roger it would with out a doubt sit high upon my shelf.

Regards Mark

?

Here’s a MK3 that arrived today, the photos in the auction were pretty poor but I took a chance on it being a MK3 and that’s indeed what it is.

I think the inside still has remains of the original brown paint whereas the outside was possibly postwar painted. This helmet has a lift the dot stud fitted so it may well have been on the production line when the change came through, unfortunately I can’t see any stamps in it and the chinstrap looks like it’s a recent addition, like the type found on MK4 and MK5 helmets. There is a name and number on the strap but I can’t make them out.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

?

I would say it's a Mk3, high chin strap lugs, plus the rivet for holding the liner in doesn't look like you normally see.
    No depression that comes with a factory fitted rivet, so probably modified at some time post war, as with the repaint, olive green.
    Looks to be an RO&Co or F&L made shell.

?

Aha, so a retro fitted stud. It's annoying that the maker can't be seen but at least I now know it's not BMB. Do you think the paint inside is original? It looks it to me.

Tony

I too have a MkIII that was retrofitted post war with a LTD to the MkIV standard.

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

?

Yours has the depression where the pin is fitted, mine doesn't. I wonder if that means it was done before being issued?

Tony

?

From the images it does not look like the depression has been factory done to me possibly this was done when the catch was installed as IMO it was very probably set with a punch and not pressed in.

Regards Mark

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast