MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

Default Re: British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Hello-most of the M1944 helmets I have seen-including in colour films such as 'Virgin Soldiers'-the paint on the surface is a blue/black-possibly for jungle warfare-the example I have is dated 1952.

?

Hi people,
    Just as an aside on this thread, the helmet colours in my old infantry unit were everything from khaki brown o bronze green, with the occaisonal painted camouflage pattern for good measure.
    Helmet nets were worn by all with varying degrees of "extra's" added, ranging from hessian then net over the top with scrim and extra hessian strips added to just the net.

Regards etc

Ian D.

Hello Adrian,just read your comment on MkIII and MkIV.How do you class a "turtle,Canadian" helmet with the high chin strap rivets and a "lift the dot" fastener.Appreciate your opinion.Would you know what Y 35 stand for as a marking inside the shell ? 1944 Y 35 MkIII.
    Thank you
    Patrick

Hi Patrick, never given any thought to Canadian made versions to be honest..But I would class them the same as the British ones.

No idea on the markings, sorry.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi, I expect the Y 35 is probably the steel batch number.
    Aaron.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

Thank you for quick answer and comments,
    It seems,as a rule,(turtle,Canadian,M44, as a nickname) a Mk III has high rivets and nut and bolt lining fastener,a Mk IV has lower rivets and a lift the dot fastener.Was there a time when there was a helmet with high rivets and lift the dot fastener ? It's a kind of hybrid,a bit of one,a bit of another.May be someone has come across one and could clarify.Thank you for your help.
    Patrick

Thank you Aaron.
    I can see on your picture the manufacturer initials,there are none on mine.
    I have posted another question,can you throw a light on it .
    Patrick

?

Hi Patrick, A lot of the Mk3 markings on the inside like I showed you, are hard to see. Mostly because they are over painted with the textured paint that they used, my helmet has not been painted inside, so shows up well. I have never seen a Mk3 with high rivets & lift the dot liner. I see loads of turtle shell helmets at boot sales & shows, & they always conform to the norm, so far that is.
    Aaron.

I had a mkIII with the LTD liner many years ago...I was after a nice unmessed MkIII at the time so I ended up selling it to raise the money. Guess I should have kept it since they seem to be rare.

It was painted Dutch civil defence gray so I assumed the Dutch installed the LTD stud fastener at some point. The British may have even tried to upgrade some of the MkIII stocks they had...just don't know...just wish I would have kept it now.

Dale

The MkIII was modernised by the British in the fifties. A male "lift the dot" post was fitted in the hole in the top.

I have seen pics of a MkIII without the metal strip around the edge. So there were quite a lot of variants.

The MkIII or MkIV was never produced in Canada. It is sometimes called Canadian because the Canadian foces received the first batches.

It is unlikely the Dutch produced lift the dot liners because we never used the MkIV as far as I know. All other British and commonwealth models were worn though.

Cheers,
    Emile

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast