Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

The depression was almost certainly done when the LTD was added, as I have some 5x MKIV's and the depression on them is clean and uniform, whereas my MkIII/IV is uneven and somewhat irregular. Definitely not the work of a factory with a large press of some variety.

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

These are my two MKIIIs. Both of these have been used by the Danes postwar. I'm guessing that the BV stands for BRANDVAGT or fire watch, but I'm not 100%. I haven't found any markings on them at all, apart from white painted metric size stamps on the liners.

?

I thought the BV helmets were used post war by the Dutch and possibly for the voluntary fire brigade but have nothing to back it up. Whatever it is, it's still good to have a couple of MKIII helmets.

Tony

Here is an interesting Mk III. It comes with a story I unfortunately cannot verify.
    It had labels on dated 1942 which were taken off before the seller realised the significance, he says he may still have them but he doesn't know where. You can still see traces of stickers below the rivets and near the number A00 (or possibly A (reverse) C.

No manufacturers stamp. Original paint in a dark green semi gloss. It has had a liner in it but not for very long which you can tell from very light scratches in the paint inside.

Any thoughts are welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

Hmm, very interesting Roger. Are you thinking this may be the original Mk III prototype? Infuriating that the seller pulled the bloody labels off! You'll have to wait for the experts on this one I think ;-)

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Hmm, very interesting Roger. Are you thinking this may be the original Mk III prototype? Infuriating that the seller pulled the bloody labels off! You'll have to wait for the experts on this one I think ;-)
    Your right about the labels ! The seller was a collector and casual dealer in militaria who is now reaching 80. I have known him for a few years.

?

The original ww2 paint has been stripped off and the colour which is there now has been done post war.
    Not even sure if this colour is military issue.
    If the stamp AOO is on the inside the date/maker name will be close to it.

Is that fact or your opinion tinlid?

Definitley no makers name or mark.

?

Fact.

?

Just to confirm Aaron is a 100% spot on there is no assumption here all based on good research and period evidence that can be supported with many images and or other period known examples.

Regards Mark

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast