Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

?

Nice to see an early date on the helmet, but the reason for this is the helmet has been refurbished post war with olive drab. Stripping the khaki green textured paint that would have been there,which would make the reading of date/maker very hard.
    Liner does not look like a ww2 one.

That's what I suspected for the liner.
    What about the manufacturing date? Trial sample?

?

No, first trials of 500 Mk3 helmets were carried out in August and September 1941. Yours I expect is the first of proper production of the Mk3.

So the usual information giving November 1943 as the beginning of the MkIII production would be off by at least 5 months?
    Or am I missing something?

?

Quote by Manusniper View Post
    So the usual information giving November 1943 as the beginning of the MkIII production would be off by at least 5 months?
    Or am I missing something?
    There is nothing indicating this helmet wasn't made with the standard batch in 1943. The other numbers are batch numbers and only the 1943 has any indication of the actual time for the helmet being made. I also have to agree with what PhantomGuitar said, this one has a reproduction liner and screw, still a very nice helmet.

Thank you for your replies.
    I was confused by the batch number configuration, reading it as a complete date 1/6/1943.
    Now that makes sense for me.

...I think the closest we get to per-helmet info is the old War time Quality Control stamps on the liners....that's about as specific (and personal) it gets at the production stage....until you find a handwritten owners name somewhere then it's off to the records!

...still a nice helmet....

Here's a page I scanned from British magazine "The War Illustrated" 30th October '41, showing early period reference.
    Had to snip in lower res to retain original rotation!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 10-28-2017 at 02:47 AM. Reason: added snip

?

Well we haven't seen any turtles on here for some time so I figured I would add this one. I was able to pick it up for a good price since it is missing the liner (so if anyone has one kicking around they want to part with..). There is too much sand and paint to see the maker or year, but it is in great condition and the colour is so nice.

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet
    Last edited by M.E.E.; 05-21-2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Fixed autocorrect

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    Well we haven't seen any turtles on here for some time so I figured I would add this one. I was able to pick it up for a good price since it is missing the liner (so if anyone has one kicking around they want to part with..). There is too much sand and paint to see the maker or year, but it is in great condition and the colour is so nice.

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet
    I posted two Turtles recently but as both were mkIV's/V's I did not add them to this thread but on their own.

great pickup and the liner you need is the MKII type from the MKII helmet so should be easy to find one.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast