Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

Composite, above, is telling more or less the complete story. The only thing worth adding is that I believe the liner to be Dutch, all characteristics are correct for the early-50s Dutch-made replacement, also seen in Dutch copies of the MkII. The Netherlands used a *lot* of UK surplus helmets in non-military roles, often with disttinctive decals, or painted black, or indeed white as here. Belgium also did to a lesser extent (they also had their own copy of the MkIII, but not widely used). NB A certain tell for a Belgian-made liner is that it is leather. Pretty unmistakeable.

?

The MkIII is one of my favourite helmets and need to add more to my collection but this is my latest one (I have had it for some time just never took pictures of it). Love the colour, too bad the liner is a bit shot but can't win them all. Just need to track down a green one and I will be happy.

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

?

I just recently added a couple of Mk III helmets to my collection and it dawned on me that I had several Mk IV helmets in my garage left over from my reenacting days. I looked through the lot and found one that apparently had the original dark brown paint on the inside. This helmet has become my newest project and I'm hoping I can bring it back to its original appearance. The exterior of the shell had been spray painted my me for my reenacting group so it should be easy enough to it remove the top layer of paint. I tried some Acetone on a cotton ball and some of the paint was being removed. I then noticed that some areas around the rim looked to be the same color as the interior. I was able to carefully chip away some of the newer paint and took a couple of photos to get your opinions. I am able to faintly make out the maker's stamp at the back of the shell and believe it is R.O. & Co.. Just beyond that is stamped the letter E. That's all I can read.

Look at the photos and let me know what you think.

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet
    British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Default Out of the wood work MKIII Medic

I have been out of the helmet collecting world a while and saw one that caught my eye.
    I was mostly into M1 painted helmets back when I was collecting. I stumbled across this helmet and knew it was legit and quite uncommon for British helmets so I had to buy it.

I am curious if it was British or Israeli used or possibly Arab too I guess, but probably most likely British use in Israel? It has the desert camo layer underneath of the medic layer. I cannot make out the last number of the year on the liner 194#. The liner has seen better days. The helmet came straight from Israel.

I know British helmets do not fetch the prices that M1 nd Stahlhelms fetch but what is a helmet like this worth today roughly? I have been out of the helmet world for probably six to eight years so I have no idea.
    The date stamp on the shell is hopeless to try and see as it has so much paint over it. British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet
    British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

- - ------- - -

I have been out of the helmet collecting world a while and saw one that caught my eye.
    I was mostly into M1 painted helmets back when I was collecting. I stumbled across this helmet and knew it was legit and quite uncommon for British helmets so I had to buy it.

I am curious if it was British or Israeli used or possibly Arab too I guess, but probably most likely British use in Israel? It has the desert camo layer underneath of the medic layer. I cannot make out the last number of the year on the liner 194#. The liner has seen better days. The helmet came straight from Israel.

I know British helmets do not fetch the prices that M1 nd Stahlhelms fetch but what is a helmet like this worth today roughly? I have been out of the helmet world for probably six to eight years so I have no idea.
    The date stamp on the shell is hopeless to try and see as it has so much paint over it. British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet
    British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Double post, multiples of same pic. Don't know why it posted the same photos more than once sorry.

?

Hello RVLucy,
    I'm following with great interest your post on the MKIII helmet in its Belgian version, which I didn't know existed.
    I have also linked your discussion to other forums to look for further feedback.
    I ask you the kindness of wanting to indicate the standard distance of the rivets (from the edge of the helmet) in the British models, in comparison with that of the Belgian one. I read in your post that they are placed lower, but by how much?
    The same for the general length of the helmet, which is the standard one for British models?
    Thank you and I look forward to more information and if possible images.

is the information you require in Post #214 ?

?

World War Helmets - Reference de casques de 1915 a nos jours. is a link that goes over all differences in both Belgian makers and the differences between the British and the Belgian designs.

?

Thank you for your answers and for your help!

I"ve got a question, as seen in a post by me you can see a MKIII turtle helmet with a Canadian MKII liner... in what time period was that done?
    And the Brown paint on a MKIII helmet is that Canadian?

Thanks in Advance, Jelmer

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast