Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

Default Re: British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

This is my 1944 turtle helmet.
    It has the nut and bolt fastening and the liner can rotate inside the shell. It doesn't fit me because I have a massive head.
    It looks like it's been repainted at some point.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

?

A nice standard Mk3 that due to it's long life was repainted, most likely during the 50's into the 60's.

?

The majority of Mk3's produced in there short WW2 service life were painted textured dark brown, but I think the first batches must have been painted textured khaki green as these are so hard to find. It was at about 42/43 that most makes of British helmets were going over to dark brown from the khaki green.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

?

Sometime during the 1950's the British army went over to painting there helmets olive drab, so the Mk3's & Mk4's that were produced during the period 1943-46 were repainted this olive drab colour. Some helmets seem to only have been over painted on the outside while leaving the wartime paint & even the wartime liners inside. While others have had the total refurb' with olive drab paint inside & out plus 1950's liner fitted.

here's my only mk111 exampleBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

?

A nice collection of helmets Any chance of some more pics of the Mk3 inside & out plus the Mk2 with the net on.
    Thanks.
    Aaron

?

Nice one James! Nicely displayed as usual.
    Back when it was sunny, (does anybody in the UK remember the sun?) I took a snap of mine.
    I know these things played a significant part in our history, but I have to say that to me they are not very,
    er, "pleasing on the eye."

Best Regards,

Andy

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

very nice pairing andy, your helmets are always of the highest quality ,i like the dressing pack on your example it puts mine in the shade , i really must get an appropriate period net ,this one has a post war us type but i will aquire one in time ,and hi Aaron no problemo my mk3 example is an arab/israeli war relic from 1948 and also here's my m11 of which i recently stripped down British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

?

Thanks for reminding me of these, love the way the net has left an imprint on the paint.

?

Thanks for the compliment col james. , but you are being a little modest about your own fine collection.

Best Regards,

Andy.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast