Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

Default Re: British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

I thought I would add to this thread rather than start a new one. A 1944 dated Mk 111 BMB shell with a '44 dated FFL liner in good condition has just sold on e-bay for £245!! Maybe I'm missing something here but does that strike anyone as a little over the top?

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

I do realise their historical significance but have always considered the design very ugly. Thoughts gentlemen please.

?

Normally a Mk3 if bought cheap can go for £40-£50, but more than likely it's £65- £85.But a real nice mint one can go for well over £100, I think what's put the price up on this one is it might be painted in the early khaki green paint & not the most common dark brown. But I'm not sure if it's been painted post war in the olive drab as used in the 50's & 60's.

NCA
    ?

I think i know which seller that is...and if im right all his lids reach well above normal prices.

Looks to be pretty average condition to me?Some folk are nuts.

?

Yeah, I know what you mean.

NCA
    ?

Heres mine.(again) Textured matt green.44 BMB with a iirc a 43 dated liner.Totally unmessed with.Nice to know its worth more than 5 times what i paid for it!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

We (Denmark) received both Mk II, MK III and Mk IV helmets as a helping hand from GB after the war and until 1947-ish. (together with a lot of other equipment) and units could be seen using all the helmets at once.
    I know I risk my life here with this statement, but the British have never been able to produce an aesthetic appealing helmet design, atlhough I find the Mk III (IV) to be the prettiest of the bunch (modern ones included)

?

What about the ugly duckling, civilian protective helmet (Zuckerman) that's got to be the ugliest of them all.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    What about the ugly duckling, civilian protective helmet (Zuckerman) that's got to be the ugliest of them all.
    Ahh yes, the Zuckerman is ugly as well

Just for the record have found a mk 111 for sale but is dated 1945 is this unusual?also is the mk111 normally stamped into the shell when I've only seen them with the month and year I.E 4/45 etc,answers on a post card please many thanks...............Jake.
    Attached Images Attached Images British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet 

?

Hi Jake, The Mk3 was produced from 43- early 45, but I think the Mk4 went into production in late 44 to early 46. So the two overlapped, the stampings are fine on this one but be aware some stamped Mk3's were made into the Mk4 in that cross over period. Stamped Mk3 but with high chin strap lugs & rivet to hold the liner in.
    The pictures do not show what type of helmet it is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast