Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

Thanks Aaron,its going to be a gamble i think as the pics dont give nothing away,have to think about the risk..............Jake.update-liner has lift dot so not offically a mk111 but still a wartime helmet might still have a punt on it depending on the price..........
    Last edited by ruddersrangers44; 09-01-2013 at 10:36 PM.

i have one of these helmets with the high rivet but the maker is different to all of these ones. it says in the liner. 7 VERO II 1944. would anyone no who this maker is.

Hello Geelong,

VERO produced (among others) liners in WW2,. Not the steel shells. Digit 7 is the size.

The Shells were produced by: Biggs Motor Bodies (BMB) and Rubery Owen & Co (RO CO).

Cheers,
    Emile

?

F&L (Fisher & Ludlow Ltd ) also produced the Mk3, VERO stands for Everett W Vero & Co.
    I think the Mk4 is an interesting helmet to have & especially when marked as a Mk3, as they were made during WW2. But doubt they got to the front liner before the war ended.

Ok thanks. Ill post some images it just was to dark last night thanks agin mark

heres some images i think you can say this helmet is in a salty condition. and its ashame that its missing the center pad. i can make out a stamp in the shell but couldent get a image. got home from work to late again. i think it says RO&CO but could be vero. thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

?

The shell is an RO&Co or F&L made one, so the date/maker name will be horizontal to the rim somewhere on the inside.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The shell is an RO&Co or F&L made one, so the date/maker name will be horizontal to the rim somewhere on the inside.
    thanks tinlid for you help on this. when i get the chance ill see if i can find it. and try not to break the liner.

?

Some years back I acquired a Turtle helmet, but as it had a ridiculous coat of Kermit-green paint applied in recent times I put it in the attic as a 'future project' . Recently came across it again whilst searching for something else and as I had recently been messing around with paint, I decided to see what I could do with it. I started by wearing back the green paint with paint thinner on a rag and eventually uncovered a patch of the chocolate brown. Realising that the brown was not dissolving with the paint thinner, I went ahead with thinner and steel wool and using a gentle circular motion I eventually uncovered all the brown, even getting the green out of the nooks and crannies. Cleaning up the inside after removing the liner I found the stamp (see picture) which would be the Rubery Owen stamp yes? The lining webbing also has a faint stamp which looks like CL, 111, 1945. What would CL stand for? I was very pleased to get it back to original paint.

Cheers,
    Oz

?

The liner will be stamped CCL, Christy & Co Ltd, a nice Mk4.

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast