Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

British Motor Cyclist's helmets of WWII

Article about: Hi Guys, this is the second pattern helmet introduced for wear by "Don R's" or Motorcycle despatch riders. The first pattern helmet was not steel but was like civvy bike helmets of

?

Very nice! And nice of you to share the story.
    The North of the Netherlands were liberated by the Canadians
    Do you know what kind of bike he was riding?

?

A 1942 dated HSDR which was the first year of production of steel despatch riders helmets.
    Painted khaki green textured paint as they were until about 1944 when they went over to dark brown.
    Stamped on the liner the maker initials of BMB as all HSDR's were, even in the late 40's & early 50's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII   British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII   British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII   British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

Lyn
    ?

Hi, I am new to this site. My father was a motorcycle despatch rider in WWII, and I was searching for information on his role in the war when I stumbled across your site. Was very interested in reading the posts about despatch helmets because my brother is looking at buying one but isn't sure if it is authentic, and the seller can't confirm. Comparing to photos you have all posted, I think it might be, but not sure. It looks pretty new, but is dated 1944, and is stamped BS inside.British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII I've attached some photos and hoping someone out there could give me some advice. Thanks. Lyn

Hi Lyn, it appears to be an original war time Canadian made DR helmet, a good example
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Steve,

do you still have these and if yes can you show pictures of them?

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    This is a really good post, thanks.
    I was at a flea market in northern Holland some years ago and a woman had 8, 1942 dated DR helmets that had been in a barn since the war (and looked like it), she told me that they came from glider that had landed on her parents farm. If I remember rightly I got the three best ones for about 10 Guilders, so she wasn't trying to get one over on me, but I have always wondered if DR helmets were used by any other units in the army, if not seems like there were a hell of a lot of despatch riders as these are fairly easy to pick up.
    Steve.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    T I have always wondered if DR helmets were used by any other units in the army, if not seems like there were a hell of a lot of despatch riders as these are fairly easy to pick up..
    It you check out unit War Establishments, you will see that the military used a lot of motor-cycles - although as the war progressed jeeps tended to displace them. In December 1942 First Canadian Army told the War Office that it required an allocation 10,000 HSDR and 20,000 HSRAC - that's for three Infantry and two Armoured Divisions plus the usual assemblage of Corps, Army and HQ troops.

Here is an Empire Rubber Economy Pattern DR helmet, marked with a Arm of Service flash front and rear (normally painted on vehicle mud-guards), 62 of a green rectangle indicates the helmet's occupant served either with 2nd battalion of the Infantry Brigade in an Armoured Division, or the 3rd battalion in the second Brigade of an Infantry Division
    British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII

A rather worse for wear 1942-dated HSDR with a Recce Corps flash. The 1942 WE for a Divisional Recce Regiment called for 70 solo motor-cycles.
    Roger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII   British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

Hi guys, great thread on the Dispatch helmets. I have a couple myself that I've happened upon in my travels. I would like your opinions on one of them. I was wondering about the "pulp, high egg shape" helmet. It looks period, but there are no markings on the inside that I can see. What do you thinkBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII

?

The second one I think is an post war Belgium made helmet.

?

The first one appears to be a Spalding helmet. A very similar type was used by the Canadian Army from 1942 to the 1950s. Here is an examples used by the Provost Corps MC Demonstration team.
    Roger

British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

?

Quote by RVLucy View Post
    It you check out unit War Establishments, you will see that the military used a lot of motor-cycles - although as the war progressed jeeps tended to displace them. In December 1942 First Canadian Army told the War Office that it required an allocation 10,000 HSDR and 20,000 HSRAC - that's for three Infantry and two Armoured Divisions plus the usual assemblage of Corps, Army and HQ troops.
    Just to add a little context to the thread hear are a couple of period images of HSDR's in wear by other services in the ETO other than Dispatch Riders
    The first image is of a RCE sapper wearing goggles and a DR’s Helmet, Caen, France, Jul,11,44.
    (LAC, PA162553)
    The second image is of a sapper of 2nd Field Coy, RCE wearing a Dispatch Rider’s helmet uncovers a booby-trapped bomb, Ferunes, Belgium, Sep,11,44
    (LAC, PA184110)

Regards Mark

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast