Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

British Motor Cyclist's helmets of WWII

Article about: Hi Guys, this is the second pattern helmet introduced for wear by "Don R's" or Motorcycle despatch riders. The first pattern helmet was not steel but was like civvy bike helmets of

?

Default Re: British ww2 despatch riders helmets

Here's Norman a DR in the RAF riding an Harley/Indian, as he is wearing the rubber proof jacket & trousers this picture must have been taken from 1942 onwards. But the interesting thing for me is the helmet, HCDR economy pattern.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII   British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

?

Here's a HCDR made of leather & as far as I know were used by the NFS despatch riders, & most of them were women. I dare say men were also DR's for the NFS but women were mainly used so as to free up the men for fire fighting,I have'nt seen any pictures of these helmets being used by any other service, but there is talk that they were used by the GP but these would have to be marked in some way like A.M or Airbourne use on the liner.
    The helmet is nicely marked with the date & maker,J.H Ltd 1942, the size is pressed into the leather plus also an ink size stamp too 6 7/8. On the inside of the leather is a quality control stamp C^55, apart from the original 1941 P type HSAT I don't think there is another British helmet in WW2 that had an all leather head harness.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII   British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII   British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII   British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

Interesting helmet and good photo's to go with it. A great thread. I have 3 pictures coming, one of a DR on his bike and two others that are said to be of him and I'll post them when they arrive.

They arrived and here is the one of him on his bike with his helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  
    Last edited by Jerry B; 10-24-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default Re: British Motor Cyclist's 2nd pattern steel helmet

Here's a Mk1 Helmet, Steel, Despatch Riders (HSDR) fibre rim, these were the first steel DR helmets & were produced from about early summer to September 1942.
    Aaron

My DISPATCH RIDERS HELMET
    British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII

?

Looks like it's seen plenty of service, you can see the original khaki green paint on the inside & an over paint on the outside.
    Probably used well into the 50's.

i saw)))

?

Hi Aaron,
    Nice thread! I just bought a HSDR from 1945. Is the stuffing between the leather liner and the steel horsehair?
    Anyway, mine has become a bit separated from the leather, do you know is it normally glued together?
    I will have to put it together again, I'm planning to use the helmet someday on the British WD bike witch I still have to buy

cheers Menno

?

It's made of thick felt,stitched to the inside leather liner. What bike do you intend to get?

?

I think I have to take the liner out and see how its put together, maybe I can have it restitched.
    I have been looking for a BSA WM20 but lately I started looking for a Matchless g3l with a telescopic front fork.
    It's hard to find them here in Holland, but I think it's the same in the UK also.

regards Menno

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast