Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British Stahlhelm copy

Article about: I am new to this forum, so forgive me if this has come up before, but a search could find no discussion of this unusual helmet. Outwardly it appears to be a German M35 Stahlhelm, but without

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdQSYXBHBJY

I have nothing more to contribute to this post then the documentary I posted before when a similar example was posted elsewhere.

?

Interesting. Although the uniforms and helmet insignia are clearly out of date by 1944, a greater effort has been made to provide more authentic equipment and weapons. The helmets are clearly of the same type- no vent bushing, and a British-style lining. It does show that the major function of these helmets was training and demonstration. Before the Axis surrender in Tunisia in May 1943, a lot of German kit would not have been available in any quantity in the West.
    Roger
    Last edited by RVLucy; 02-01-2015 at 11:04 PM.

?

My understanding about these is that they were used for training orgs. We Believe these were used at Camp X for Training SOE agents, however as most documents for this camp were destroyed, we cannot confirm this, however the few photos I have seen from the camp with Soldiers dressed as Germans, I can tell that most, if not all were NOT wearing WW1 German Helmets.

Dean O
    Canada

?

Hi Roger! Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing it!
    Oli

A still from a 1940's training video shows that German ww1 helmets were in fact used during training.
    On the left side the swastika, and on the right the national color.
    British Stahlhelm copy

?

[QUOTE=magicdutchmen;1385523]A still from a 1940's training video shows that German ww1 helmets were in fact used during training.

Indeed, and for other purposes too. Here is a photograph taken during "If Day" 19 February 1942, which simulated the German take-over of Winnipeg, Manitoba in order to encourage the sale of War Bonds.
    Attached Images Attached Images British Stahlhelm copy 

?

Here is two other photos of British-made Stahlhelm in use, the IWM captions read
    "The Home Guard: A break from instructions for men on a Home Guard Junior leaders course at Number 3 GHQ Home Guard School, Onibury near Craven Arms, Shropshire, sees soldiers dressed in German uniform - in order to represent German prisoners - taking a break with members of the Home Guard"

British Stahlhelm copy

"Village clearing. Home Guard taking "German" prisoners at the bayonet point from a farm loft"

British Stahlhelm copy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2