Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Tanker helmet HCRAC

Article about: I recently found this one on ebay and am happy to have it added to my collection. I emailing the seller and found out that it was purchased at a estate sale of a vet and this was the only mi

?

Default British Tanker helmet HCRAC

I recently found this one on ebay and am happy to have it added to my collection. I emailing the seller and found out that it was purchased at a estate sale of a vet and this was the only military item the family had other than his medals. I did some more research and found out the vet was a member of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corp. As to whether this was his helmet or if he traded for it at some point will never be know.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Tanker helmet HCRAC   British Tanker helmet HCRAC  

British Tanker helmet HCRAC   British Tanker helmet HCRAC  

Very nice, don't see these around often.

'nice piece...that leather work is in great nick! And I love the neutral background photos - thank you for making the effort for us.

...now onto the headset and the wiring.....a collectors work is never done.......

?

I know what you mean Composite, feels like everytime I think I am good for a while I find something else I need to add to the collection. I also have a Canadian tank crash helmet so now I have to track down a HSRAC to join the those, and as you said it would be nice to get the whole rig, and then I should maybe get a beret to go with it.... what have I started.

Very nice. I gather it's a second pattern Canadian. Here's my first pattern British made by J.Compton Sons & Webb with the stamp Q over WD arrow which dates it to 1940. Acquired a while back from Aaron.

Regards

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Tanker helmet HCRAC   British Tanker helmet HCRAC  

?

Wow that is an amazing helmet Martin, I would love to find one of those especially in that shape . The helmet I posted is a 2nd pattern British helmet, from my understanding Canada didn't manufacture any of them but they used them in the European theatre since they were part of the standard gear for British made tanks. Canada made their own crash helmet that is based off of yours. Here is my Canadian crash helmet.

?

Here's some wartime pictures, Canadians with both British and Canadian HCRAC.
    If you want to triple your value of your helmet just say it's an SAS helmet (but not really) SAS training in the Desert

Attached Images Attached Images British Tanker helmet HCRAC 

?

Very nice. I had examples of both patterns one with the Panda of the 9th Armoured Division on the front.

I donated them both to Bovington where I was subsequently told they had disappeared from the collection.

?

They were there a few years ago, in the store room, or very similar.

?

I was told by someone else who had worked in the store the opposite story so good if they have survived. I would expect them to have a number of these helmets any how. Unfortunately there is little room at the Museum for uniform displays and probably fewer Tanks on display now than for many years due to the amount of room given over to displays designed to get joe public in who are obviously vital for income.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast