Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British Tanker helmet HCRAC

Article about: I recently found this one on ebay and am happy to have it added to my collection. I emailing the seller and found out that it was purchased at a estate sale of a vet and this was the only mi

..they told us that unless they didn't already have one (of anything) extra examples were a bit of a problem.....bequeathed collections proved quite a challenge for them....most helmet collections have one or two tank crew lids....but that's all the museum is about...and invariably they've got one already...and then, sadly, in a number of cases they're not allowed to SELL extra items they've been given...so.......?????

...and don't get me started on that age old challenge of Enthusiast v button-pressing Facebook-photographing-Generalist.....on the basis that there's probably a ratio of at least 1:100 at £14.00 each they're always gonna win.....and for the good of the museum I guess they should :-(

?

If they do not want them I will take them back as I only donated the helmets as they did not have any on display, which seemed like a very basic thing to exhibit in the Royal Armoured Corps Museum. It was then a number of years before an example of one appeared in a display cabinet (not mine) and I am not even sure if that display is still in the Museum.

What I found sad when I visited the other day is all the old chronological order which visitors could walk through to see the history of tank development is gone with a complete mish mash of vehicles. This was caused partly by the destruction of the interwar hall to create room for wooden talking horses and now the newly created room to house the Tiger Collection. And whatever the Tank Factory Hall was meant to achieve apart from displacing probably 20 tanks eludes me and I think most visitors as well. Even the Tiger collection display seemed very sterile and lacking interest. Quite if Joe Public actually find this anymore interesting that the other Tanks is questionable.

The most interesting new exhibit I thought on the day was the T76 on loan from Finland.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Tanker helmet HCRAC  

Don't get me started on the "Tank Factory"....

?

Indeed the biggest waste of space going and I think Joe Public would agree as well if asked.

Here's mine.

Quote by Salzburg View Post
    Very nice. I gather it's a second pattern Canadian. Here's my first pattern British made by J.Compton Sons & Webb with the stamp Q over WD arrow which dates it to 1940. Acquired a while back from Aaron.

Regards

Martin
    More pictures in a separate thread can be found here: My HCRAC, (Helmet, Crash, Royal Armoured Corps)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2