Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British Tanker/Paratroop/Motorcycle dispatch or....

Article about: I have and now seen this similar helmet. Anyone know what it is exactly? I don't believe it is a paratroop helmet, as they would not use only one strap. More or less goes for a Motorcycle di

?

If I might chime in here, am I correct in assuming that a true Para helmet shell would not have chin strap bales attached to the shell as this one does? I am not an expert by any means, but Para chin straps, be they leather or webbing, attach to the liner and not to the shell, unless I am missing something. I'm thinking this is might be a converted HSRAC helmet. The posted photos don't show the top of the helmet, which would help in determining the true nature of this helmet. SYD, can you post such a photo?

SMP
    ?

Quote by gbalke View Post
    If I might chime in here, am I correct in assuming that a true Para helmet shell would not have chin strap bales attached to the shell as this one does? I am not an expert by any means, but Para chin straps, be they leather or webbing, attach to the liner and not to the shell, unless I am missing something. I'm thinking this is might be a converted HSRAC helmet. The posted photos don't show the top of the helmet, which would help in determining the true nature of this helmet. SYD, can you post such a photo?
    The bales were added post war during the re-furbishment process. The three para bolt holes are still evident, except now rivets secure the para liner. The Danes drilled holes in the top of the para shells to add cruciform top pads.

Quote by gbalke View Post
    well actually they do fit directly to the shell, placed between the liner and the wall of the shell, but still directly on the shell
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Tanker/Paratroop/Motorcycle dispatch or....  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by SMP View Post
    The bales were added post war during the re-furbishment process. The three para bolt holes are still evident, except now rivets secure the para liner. The Danes drilled holes in the top of the para shells to add cruciform top pads.
    Interesting. Just seems silly to me to add those bales and go to a two point strap system when the Para liner had the three point system that worked extremely well. Oh well, thanks for enlightening me.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    well actually they do fit directly to the shell, placed between the liner and the wall of the shell, but still directly on the shell
    Yeah, but they are not welded directly to the shell, they are bolted on.

?

Just wanted to say Happy Father's Day to the members of this tremendous group!
    Last edited by gbalke; 06-16-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2