MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

A British thing? Any ideas?

Article about: Guys, A tin box with crows foot (bottom center), when opened revealed these bottles? There's writing on the bottles but I can't make it out. Any ideas? Jock

Default A British thing? Any ideas?

Guys,

A tin box with crows foot (bottom center), when opened revealed these bottles? There's writing on the bottles but I can't make it out. Any ideas?

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A British thing? Any ideas?   A British thing? Any ideas?  

Default Re: A British thing? Any ideas?

Not a clue, looks like medical stuff... have you tasted them?

I suppose so, it reminds me of a chemistry set I had when I was a kid.

I don't think I'll taste anything saying that it might have a street value...

Maybe NBC?

Who knows?

Jock

Hi Jock, I would say Medical too. It appears to have some age too it and I would suspect it is wartime?

Cheers, Ade.

Nice item I agree its probably medical. The bottle aluminium screw caps are unusual and distinct. That type of cap is early and was used when external threads were first used on bottles after corks dating from 1910 to at latest 1930 so it's likely pre WW2 but could possibly date to WW1 or just after.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Guys,

Thankyou, very informative luckystrike, I will try to remember that if I find any more glass, I presume that applies to all nations as a means for dating?

Jock

Hi Jock, Yes I think technical developments like the improved closure of bottles were shared between Nations, so this type of screw cap would have been used by different countries around the same time as the UK. I checked my collection tonight and found I have a couple of the small (glass) hip flask bottles from a long defunct 1920s Whisky distiller called Old Orkney. They have exactly the same type of lids as your bottles.
    Good luck in your hunts for the more unusual items.
    LUCKYSTRIKE