Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Turtle Helmet MKVI or V

Article about: Commonly known among collectors as a MKV with the sock lining but officially only known as a MKIV. IMO a very fine example with a full set of 1972 dated liner and sock parts, a theater made

Default British Turtle Helmet MKIV or V

Commonly known among collectors as a MKV with the sock lining but officially only known as a MKIV.

IMO a very fine example with a full set of 1972 dated liner and sock parts, a theater made DPM cam cover and heavily scrimmed knotted net. I picked this up local to me as I had walked passed one many years back and had always regretted not getting it. all of these are one offs in terms of the scrimmed net and in this case the camo cover appears to be home made from a waterproof garment, possibly a pair of "crisp packet" trousers or coat.

The bare shell has its original textured brown camo finish paint but I could not find any makers markings inside it. It has a stacking ring so I guess it was in stores for a long time before being refurbed for issue in the 1970's or 80's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Turtle Helmet MKVI or V   British Turtle Helmet MKVI or V  

British Turtle Helmet MKVI or V   British Turtle Helmet MKVI or V  

Last edited by Jerry B; 03-02-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I thought it was good to see a full set of matching dated parts for the sock liner in this helmet but a shame I could find no markings in the shell.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Turtle Helmet MKVI or V  
    Regards,

Jerry

Unusual to see a post war so-called mkv refurb to not have been repainted glossy green....

Shell appears to be a bmb from the rim strip joins, but when did they stop making shells? I only remember them making shells wartime or perhaps 1950's.
    Regards,

Jerry

Just checked the long thread which shows no mkiv's were made after 1952, but bmb did make them then. What colour were the 1950's mkiv's, the same brown as the 1940's Versions?
    Regards,

Jerry

?

BMB & RO&Co made them in 1953.
    As for colour, probably textured dark brown, but they were always being refurbished, you see them olive drab, black and Police blue.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    BMB & RO&Co made them in 1953.
    As for colour, probably textured dark brown, but they were always being refurbished, you see them olive drab, black and Police blue.
    Thanks Aaron. I meant 53, bloddy phone......
    Regards,

Jerry

I tried to edit the incorrect thread title, but it is syill wrong, it should have mkiv or v not mk vi or v, if a mod could please fix it?

I was surprised how little interest this generated....plenty of views but few comments
    Regards,

Jerry

Sorry JB, I missed this one on my hols.....a really nice example and the home-made DPM cover is hyper rare (on a “turtle”)....I’ve twice bought examples only to find they weren’t what they seemed.

A nice grouping......keep ‘em coming!

Thanks Ade, I was happy to find it local to me in Ceredigion for a very good price. I have another mkiv/v on its way, again from Wales and from a big time falklands collector who got it last direct from the veteran with a hessian/sacking cover.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Thanks Ade, I was happy to find it local to me in Ceredigion for a very good price. I have another mkiv/v on its way, again from Wales and from a big time falklands collector who got it last direct from the veteran with a hessian/sacking cover.
    Pics of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images British Turtle Helmet MKVI or V  British Turtle Helmet MKVI or V 
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast