Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?

Article about: hi guys, please see the attached photos which show what is said to have been a Gloster Aircraft Co. staff helmet. Apart from the remains of GAC painted to the front, it also has GAC stamped

Actually they were MORE expensive.......

very nice markings on the AFS lid. But does GAC actually stand for Gloster Aircraft Co? If not, odd that GAC should be painted on the outside as well as stamped at the rear and mine did come from Gloucester.
    Dave

I think it would be fair to assume they're from the aircraft company....I have a metal one which is stencilled and stamped "GAC" too.....you're right though, it could be somat else......

Quite a few companies stencilled'n'stamped.......'spect they were worried the painted markings could be over-painted if 'arf inched" or perhaps they all belonged to Gregory Arthur Clarkson......maybe?

?

Rough MkII ebonite without GAC and MkIINo2C with GAC stamped.
    Piotrek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?   British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?  

British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?   British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?  

British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?   British WW2 civil helmet but what is it made of?  

hmm, ebonite, I like that word. Is that what the 'stuff' is actually called? Now to look out for a steel 'GAC' in the Gloucester area.

Quote by rrickoshae View Post
    hmm, ebonite, I like that word. Is that what the 'stuff' is actually called? Now to look out for a steel 'GAC' in the Gloucester area.
    Yep, Ebonite was a real material and as the name suggests it was a synthetic substitute for the expensive hardwood Ebony.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebonite

I believe that if a lid were formed from Ebonite it would be brittle and not much use as any kind of head protection.

However, I am not sure that the lid above is Ebonite. It looks to me more like the "resin and rags" composition at the top of the thread. I too would like to know what that crude fibre reinforced plastic was called if anybody knows?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I was wondering how it was known that this one WAS Ebonite...we'll never know......I've seen quite a few WW2s Compos (they're not that rare after all) and the annoying feature is the almost total lack of markings...with "PLASFORT" being one large exception. There was a whole raft of substances (and fillers) tested and used.. Ebonite being just one.....it is possible to make out rag and/or wood bits but that's about it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2