Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British WW2 Helmet #2. Is it Paratroopers?

Article about: I'd swap this for it!!! http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attic-...63/?highlight= Not quite a 18th century Scottish Basket Hilt Sword!

Default Re: British WW2 Helmet #2. Is it Paratroopers?

I'd swap this for it!!!

1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade

Not quite a 18th century Scottish Basket Hilt Sword!

Quote by davejb View Post
    I love a sense of humour Rob, i m one of the guys who try to make light out of everything, but normally if i make a comment like that i would follow it with a LOL, it can be construed as a serious remark as our member did and replied, plus i dont have a rattle ive got a hanging mobile and the batteries have run down
    cheers Dave
    No problem mate As well as a sense of humour, I very rarely take offence at anything either

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I wish I could buy one at that price, a G&S would probably go for £1200- £1500 if not a bit more. Rob, that's exactly what I would have said & like you with a twinkle in your eyes.
    Thanks for your support there

On the serious side though, I really wouldn't pay top dollar for something from a dealer who was expecting me to make an evaluation on the piece. Even if I was the buyer, it doesn't seem reasonable to use someone as an 'expert' to maximise your profit and not pay the 'expert' a share of said profit. But of course, that all comes down to your relationship with the dealer etc.

Rob

It is a great helmet.

I hope you get a good deal.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Thanks for your support there

On the serious side though, I really wouldn't pay top dollar for something from a dealer who was expecting me to make an evaluation on the piece. Even if I was the buyer, it doesn't seem reasonable to use someone as an 'expert' to maximise your profit and not pay the 'expert' a share of said profit. But of course, that all comes down to your relationship with the dealer etc.
    Rob
    Well said Rob.
    There are plenty of places where people are more then willing to share all the knowledge they have for free.
    This dealer doesn't seem to get the rules of the game.

I would expect a dealer to name the price and it's up to them to know what they have and what they want for it. When they are asking you to tell them what it, it seems bad form to me. We all have spent many hours over many years trying to gain knowledge and if a dealer is too lazy to do the work, then they can't complain and even without your input, I expect he would be asking for a price that gives him a profit. We all like to spot a bargain and getting that unrecognised item at a bargain price is surely acceptable in this hobby? I am not talking about ripping off some old Vet or his wife/kids etc..., just thought I would share some thoughts on the matter. Saying that, I have a dealer friend and if it was him, I would offer my opinion, though in his case he always knows what he is selling and what he wants for it, usually at below market price and then he often knocks a bit more off as well. A very nice man and a good dealer who gives a lifetime guarantee of originality and return on all his sales.

Hats of to you Paddyrat for your integrity and I hope he repays your supplying info to him, by offering it to you at a good price. It looks to be a great helmet
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

NCA
    ?

Well, i live and learn.I never thought they could be worth that much!

I still hold on to the hope i will find one at a car boot sale for £5.Underneath a 43 dated Denison smock.

Many thanks for your comments. And no offence was taken with the earlier 'comment/joke'.

Im very pleased that its a genuine one and will inform my friend today.

If he decides he wants me to sell it for im I will do so and let this thread know.

I live in hope for my Basket Hilt Sword, maybe someone will walk in his door with on of them!!!

Good luck!

On the subject of pricing and fairness: I have recently helped an old friend and new forum member here, value his old collection for selling this year. The items I was interested in purchasing I did not value, as I had a vested interest in the price and I felt this was a conflict in interest. So he is doing his own homework on those which I felt was the best solution. Naturally, no one wants to pay top line dealer prices, if they did, you would simply buy from a dealer tomorrow, but likewise no want wants to rip someone off.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

For anyone interested I have put this Helmet on Ebay UK.

Ive started it with no reserve so it makes what it makes.

Thanks for all your help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2