Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Brodie helmet

Article about: Hey guys I acquired this helmet about a year ago and after some research on my own I still don’t know much about it. I was told by the seller that it was a WW1 American helmet, but I have my

Default Brodie helmet

Hey guys I acquired this helmet about a year ago and after some research on my own I still don’t know much about it. I was told by the seller that it was a WW1 American helmet, but I have my doubts. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brodie helmet   Brodie helmet  

Brodie helmet   Brodie helmet  

Brodie helmet  

?

It has split rivets which means that it was made by the British, but the US did buy a lot of helmets from the British, when they joined the war.

Be careful with it, that white pad on the top of the helmet has asbestos in it, and if it is irritated, the asbestos will go airborne which if swallowed or inhaled is possibly harmful.
    Although the people who are seriously harmed from exposure to asbestos are people who worked with it and inhaled it for years, it is best to be safe.

As Already stated, it is a British made example and many were used by the US until they had produced sufficient numbers of their own version.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

From what I understand, it is a matter of contention as to whether the buffer pads in these helmets do in fact contain asbestos. I do not own any, and do not collect WWI pieces in general, so have not looked into it too deeply.

Still, asbestos is not to be underestimated under any circumstances. It is very, very nasty stuff, and should be dealt with if there is even a vague chance that it is present. If I were to come into possession of one of these helmets, I would coat the pad, using a paint brush, with the same glue I use to seal my gas masks. The glue will bind the asbestos together permanently, and ensure that no nasty fibres get into your lungs.

Regards, B.B.

Thanks for the info guys, I thought I only had to worry about my gas masks.

If it can help you understand the differences between the British Mk1 and the US M1917, below you can see the images of these two examples that were both used by US Army soldiers during WW1.
    They look very much alike, but they are two different helmets: weight, rivets, dimensions, materials of the interior and obviously the markings of the shell and the liner; however both had the asbestos layer beneath the felt pad.

Regards
    Roberto

US Army Mk1
    Brodie helmetBrodie helmet

US Army M1917
    Brodie helmetBrodie helmet

?

I've got also MkI helmet stamped "MLS" (Miris Steel Co., Sheffield), but "45". My helmet is magnetic - and Yours?

Piotrek

I’ll have to check and see if mine is magnetic.

Magnetic/non-magnetic doesn't mean anything. The specs don't mention anything at all about the alloy to be used, only that it meets the ballistic requirements.

?

You're right, of course. The ballistic requirements, weight and thickness of the steel shell. But it's interesting for me...
    As far I know only MLS made that helmets.
    Piotrek