MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Brodie helmet Mk II chin strap lugs

Article about: I picked up a Mk II brodie but someone has ground off the chin strap lugs / bails. I am fabricating some replacements myself and from what I have seen some of the originals looked pretty rou

?

Default Brodie helmet Mk II chin strap lugs

I picked up a Mk II brodie but someone has ground off the chin strap lugs / bails. I am fabricating some replacements myself and from what I have seen some of the originals looked pretty rough (as mine will do...ha ha).
    In the meantime, is anyone selling NOS or replica bails that you know of please?
    http://thebrodiehelmet.weebly.com/mkii.html
    The site I have linked to, has a picture of the lugs in the second picture down.

I have the chin strap, the loops and the shell...it is just the flat metal lugs that are riveted to the shell are missing.
    If you know of anyone selling replicas please let me know...

Regards
    Poccur

?

Default Re: Brodie helmet Mk II chin strap lugs

What date is on the MkII shell, from 1939 the lugs were different from the ones in the link. The MkIII lugs which replaced the MkII's in 39 would be easier to make than the MkII's. Good luck trying to find any as this will I think be hard.

?

Helmet is marked 1941
    I really had hoped to find some NOS ones.....I can fab some if needed...what metal was used? any ideas?
    Cheers
    Poccur

?

Being 41 you want the MkIII chin strap lugs, if your making them, any metal would be ok I guess.
    Here's some pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brodie helmet Mk II chin strap lugs   Brodie helmet Mk II chin strap lugs  

Brodie helmet Mk II chin strap lugs   Brodie helmet Mk II chin strap lugs  

?

Thanks for your replies..this little side hobby is fast becomming all absorbing for me...

I have a 1942 helmet that has bails I linked to originally...The paint all seems original so is it possible there was some overlap on the 1939 cutoff date? Maybe using up some old stock? I suppose if it had been field fixed in 1942 with older bails it would look orginal by now as it has aged in with the other parts...

?

It sounds like a Canadian MkII.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brodie helmet Mk II chin strap lugs   Brodie helmet Mk II chin strap lugs  

?

That is exactly what it looks like....thanks