MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Camouflaged MKII Brit helmet

Article about: Hello, I’m still trying to learn about MKII helmets and their colours, here’s a camo MKII which I wouldn’t buy but that's just my opinion. What do you think of this helmet, am I right to be

Quote by pluto View Post
    You're welcome Leon, if you're a collector of German lids,it's an even bigger dilemma for you as they are much more expensive than the British ones,I do have an original german one ,given to me by a friend 35 odd years ago ,but in my opinion the characteristics of wear are different from the British ones ,firstly they do not have the stainless steel rim and secondly it seems that the colour of the rust is lighter on the German one than on the British maybe because of the manganese content in the British lid ,anyway I think I picked wrong time to start collecting ww2 lids again ,back in the 70's and 80's I didn't have to worry about fakes,when I got married I gave my collection away and kept only the german one,now that I'm retired I have started collecting again only to find that 70% of the helmets are fake, I now think I should have bought a harley instead
    Harley's are nice, but helmets are better in my opinion! Half the fun is distinguishing between the fakes and the good. Makes getting a nice helmet all the more satisfying! Even though the MKII's have the steel rim, the wear pattern is very similar on a Third Reich helmet, they both get put down on rough surfaces that "chip and wear" the edges. The only big difference I would say is that as the German helmet has a definite front to it, the wear of a thumb mark is often quite evident. As for rusting, the German lids vary quite a lot depending on the batch of steel used, and any metal granular content in the rough texture over paints. All the best and good hunting for that next helmet. Leon.

?

Cheers Leon
    I 'm like a child in a candy shop at the mo as i have just received a despatch riders helmet in unissed condition dated 1944 ,you are right about the trill you get when you find a good one,It's like an addiction,but like all addictions it only lasts for a certain time,next month I have to look for another fix (meaning another helmet of course) take care and we'll talk again soon ,Joe

SMP
    ?

Did anyone here buy the Malta camo ?

Quote by SMP View Post
    Did anyone here buy the Malta camo ?
    Not if they took any notice of this thread is my bet.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I notice it is listed as ending on a lower price than it was at a few days back so I assume someone pulled out who had bit on it
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I notice it is listed as ending on a lower price than it was at a few days back so I assume someone pulled out who had bit on it
    Maybe someone did read this thread then Jerry, as Ned mentioned! Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Maybe someone did read this thread then Jerry, as Ned mentioned! Leon.
    Lets hope that was the case and we saved someone from wasting a lot of money on a duffer.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Well i dont think ill ever get a Malta Camo (real or otherwise) AU $787.92 is a little out of my league
    (I didnt bid on it by the way)

?

No that one sold for 361 pound and nobody pulled any bids ,but you can't dictate to people how to spend their money.lets see how the latest fake will do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4